Need some very large BlitzMax project

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Need some very large BlitzMax project

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi, I'm making a lot of tests for next BLIde version, and I was wondering if someone could please send me a very large project (lots of large files) to make some tests to the new BLIde core engine, before it is released.
thanks in advance. :D

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hi,

I have a project with 120 source files ( and I've a long way to go yet! ) and some of those are quite large. If you can send me a test version which doesn't interfere with the main Blide package ( I'm using it to develop with and I can't afford to lose time from work using a beta version for work ) then I would be more than happy to give it a go.

Unfortunately, I can't send you the project. No disrespect intended, but it's going to be the next two or three years of my life working on this, and it's not just about trusting you ( which I do ) because there are at least two email providers involved between us as well. Anything I can do to test on my machine, just ask.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#3]
well, the testing is releated to speed. the new core engine is slower than the original one (there's nothing I can do about it) but I'm implementing some optimizations and I just want to test them. there will be an alpha pre-release available very soon (maybe tomorrow).
Unfortunatelly, to install this you need to uninstall previous versions of BLIde (you know, new core engine can become a DLL hell)

I've been making some test with a project of files with 5000 lines of source code and it works ok. but I would like to make more tests.

I will post here when the pre-release is available.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
the new core engine is slower than the original one

Damb.

I often use a Pii 699.

Not for running programs but for type building and the like. That is the whole project isnt built on it, but I have more time available on it to do the type/Mod design.

And these newer BLIDE versions are already at the limit of slow to simply scroll down short listings. Will it be slower all the time, or will I be able to turn options off and speed it up?

I would be willing to sacrifice both disc space and load times

Also, Im going to be as seems to me realy mean, and unfortunatly say no to sending code via email. But in my case its because Im just selfish. (hahahaha, no I having got any thing bigger then the BMaxGUI code which as public domain you can use, and I am paranoid about my baby as well)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#5]
Unfortunatelly, to install this you need to uninstall previous versions of BLIde (you know, new core engine can become a DLL hell)

Ok, fair enough. Sorry, but it seems like I won't be able to help you test then. I don't currently have a second machine set up for testing, or I would use that.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#6]
There's a light hilighting version (the default one). This version works slow spetially at parsing time, but it should work more or less at the same speed as the 0.7.61 version at edit time. All the parsing is suspended when an application is being run, so it doesn't affect debuging or application runing from within BLIde. You whould be able to use it in your ancient Pentium II, but a Pentium IV is highly recomended. I can't not give you a more acurate information, as I haven't had time to make any serious tests.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#7]
It's very courious, the parser seems to be a little bit slower for small files, but a lot faster for big ones. I have loaded all the IrrLitch module (more than 300 bmx) and it loaded tones faster than in previous versions of BLIde :D

@H&K: I understand your paranoia, I think i will make the tests with the irrlitch module (it is big enough)

@Gabriel: thanks anyway for you interest, I don't have time to make a new installer for the alpha release (to let it install in a different folder, with a different name, etc). Regular test are making me feel the current alpha version is more stable than the current official one :D (time will say)