Bug report - please check!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Bug report - please check!

Kemi(Posted 2006) [#1]
I recieved the following bug-report for my game, but am not able to reproduce it:

I have tried the program on three different machines and I've had issues on each machine while trying to play the game. On my personal machine, the program runs fine for 2-3 minutes and then hard locks Windows XP. This is a repeatable occurrence. On my wife and my son's machine, the graphics are screwy in exactly the same way. When I select a photo to play, the left photo is fine. The right photo, however, has either big black sections missing, or the photo has strips of itself at various placements. The only things in common with all three machines is that all machines have an NVidia chipset for the graphics cards, (mine is a GeForce 4 TI4200, my wife's is a GeForce 2 MX, and my son's is an original GeForce GT), they all have AMD processors (Mine an A64 3200+, my wife's an Athlon XP 2200+, and my son's an Athlon XP 1800+), and they all run Windows XP. All the drivers are current and all the updates to windows have been done.

The game can be downloaded here:

http://www.zhangdownload.com/thetimeportal-win.zip

I'd be glad if people could try the game and post reports here including their system specs and if the game runs fine or not. I have no idea what that bug could be since it runs fine on my system and also on Mac OS X. I used a normal graphics-command, no system related stuff whatsoever.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
Actually runs without any problem. Core Duo T2500, 7600Go, 2GB RAM, XP Pro SP2

Due to their graphic cards, you might add an option to choose between DirectX and OpenGL driver and let them try. (here on the boards is a download for DX9 drivers which might be a usefull 3rd option)

For the case they are playing in windowed mode, I would ask them if they have WindowBlinds or any UI modifying application installed.

They are known to cause problems with many apps, not only BM.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#3]
I have no idea what that bug could be since it runs fine on my system and also on Mac OS X.
I can't check now, coz I'm at uni, and the DNS servers are unreaqchable.

However from the description it sounds like there is not enough RAM on the graphics card to handle the amount of graphics on-screen.