BLIde beta 0.7.58

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde beta 0.7.58

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#1]
As some users have said in the forums, it seems there are some stability issues with BLIde editing very large files. There is a new BETA version with this issue fixed.
The main core engine of BLIde has been changed from Puzzle Code Editor (derived from the ancient Compona SyntaxBox) to a new one. There have been several memory issues fixed, as it seemed this bug was happening when windows needs to paginate some memory and it is using a RichTextBox control (or a control derived from this one).

At the end, please if you are one of those ho have experienced some 'mangled code' using previous versions of BLIde, with large files, if you wish to use BLIde, email me to get the new beta, (and please provide feedback.)

This is a list of the fixed bugs in this version:

-Fixed a dangerous memory leak when editing large files
-Improved Parser speed 200% :D
-Improved loading time
-Second layer of rendering using GDI+ is now configurable under advanced settings

and tones of little bug-fixing here and there.

There has been found also a bug in the menu/toolbar controls. All this controls will be replaced by the standar ones in Microsoft .net 2.0 to ensure compatibility. Current beta doesn0t have this change yet.
Some of the toolbars will be reorganized.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#2]
I can't for the life of me remember which files gave me trouble in the past, but I would like to help you test this ( since I was the one moaning, I feel kinda obliged ) so I'll email you in a bit to get the beta.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm afraid I've managed to crash the new edit box with an out of memory error after about half an hour of testing. I submitted the error report on your site, but I'm not 100% sure if it submitted ok as the browser just say there with "waiting for blide.org. If you didn't get the report, let me know. I kept the JIT error log, and will be happy to email it to you.

Hopefully there's some good information in there. It's all gibberish to me.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#4]
I've got the report, It is a GDI out of memory error. I'm trying to solve it, as I think it is produced somewhere in the rendering routines... It's being very hard to solve... arrrrrgggggg!!!!!!!

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yep, sorry for the bad news. I was afraid it might be something with the GDI, and that it might be a hard one to solve.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#6]
Is any C# good programer with GDI and double buffered controls experience wanting to lend a hand?

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#7]
You may want to try and contact Rob of Protean fame. He may be busy, not sure, but I doubt he would take offense to you asking for help =] He overcame (or not, as the final build may show:) many stupid problems. =]

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#8]
I'm sure this bug is a very stupid and silly line of code... Keep trying. Boiled Sweets has offer to help me. I was thinking of creating an poen source comunity for the code editor control BLIde is using. (it si done in C#) any volenteers?

BLIde itself can't be open source becouse it's using third party controls, but the editor control can be under a GLP license. (It is bassed on a GPL control)

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#9]
You can download the EditorControl used by BLIde here (source code in C# with a sample application that shows the bug):

http://www.blide.org/syntaxboxsource.zip

this includes a sample application in VB that creates and destroys a lot of instances of a form. There's a debug trace text placed in the SyntaxBox Dispose method that is never shown, so the editor control is never released. Any help solving this will be more than welcome.

This editor control is under the LGPL license, so you are free to use it.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#10]
I can't test yet ( I would like to later though Ziggy!)...

Did you manage to find the "text box stops rendering contents" bug? Sounds like the new core might fix the problem.

Good work man!

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#11]
I think all is the same problem (the rendering problem and the GDI issue). I'm working also with the FireBall team. We are developing a 'son' of the PuzzleEditorControl, with a little bit more of features and fixes. But I still need some help with this 'unDisposing' issue.

EDIT: I think it's fixed. New beta avialbe 0.7.59 :D I hope it works ok now.