Could someone explain this code?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Could someone explain this code?

Sanctus(Posted 2006) [#1]
	Method render()

Local drawY%, drawX%
		Local tOffY%
		Local gOffX%
		Local actualDrawX%, actualDrawY%

For Local y% = 0 To Height - 1
			tOffY = 0

For Local x% = 0 To width - 1
				drawX% = x
				tOffY:+ 15

actualDrawX% = (((((((drawX * (TILEWIDTH + 2))) - ((TILEHEIGHT + 1) * x))) - (gOffx))) - x) + offsetx
				actualDrawY% = (((drawY * (TILEHEIGHT + 1)) + tOffY) + (y * (TILEHEIGHT / 2))) + offsety

If actualDrawX < 0 - TILEWIDTH Or actualDrawY < 0 - TILEHEIGHT Or actualDrawX > GraphicsWidth() Or actualDrawY > GraphicsHeight() Then
					' // Dont render if the tile is off screen
				Else
					If tile[x , y].blocked Then SetColor 255 , 0 , 0
					DrawImage (floorImageSet, actualDrawX, actualDrawY, tile[x, y].floorStyle)
					SetColor 255, 255, 255
				EndIf

Next

gOffX%:+ 30

Next

For Local point:TPoint = EachIn pointList

point.SetOffset(offsetx + (TILEWIDTH / 2), offsety + (TILEHEIGHT / 2))
			point.render()

Next

End Method

As you see its the drawing part of a isometric engine...
So could someone explain for wath is each variable
Oh and and the to DiabloGames for suplying the free sourcecode
I'm trying to make my own isometric engine and I know some pinciples but I can't figure out this one

Warren(Posted 2006) [#2]
Are you sure you're a programmer? I mean, it seems insanely n00bish to ask people to "explain this code to me" and "explain what each variable is for". Try changing things and see what happens. Put some effort into it first.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
It's some kind of tilemap drawing routine.

Sanctus(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yeah but i was wondering if someone can explain how it works
if not I will try more AND MORE TILL i DO UNDERSTAND IT BUT IT WOULD BE SIMPLER THIS WAY
srry capslock

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#5]
apologising for caps only makes sense in a blog, or forum without edit-feature. What helps for me is to stop reading sources from others and simply try to make it yourself from scratch. You know the idea of an isometric map, from that you can easily think of a solution on how to display.

Mind you, I don't know a hoot about how to incorporate moving things in such a map (cars, ppl etc.) other than brute-force redrawing the whole kab00z.

cloned(Posted 2006) [#6]
if you can't figure this code on your own then you should not even bother with isometric land and go for flat maps till you get better

H&K(Posted 2006) [#7]
I get the feeling Sanctus that you are in fact trying to get a collaberative team going?

I havent come to this conclustion just from this post, but also from your graphics ones.

This must be so, because this question is so mind numbingly stupid, it cannot be a real one. There isnt a single variable in that code that isnt addequetly named. What do you think "actualDrawX" means?

Sanctus(Posted 2006) [#8]
I understood wath actualdraw was for but i didn't understand the tOffx and gOffy
Now I got it working with a little help from a tut from Blitzcoder
I got it working preety nice

ozak(Posted 2006) [#9]
Actually a websearch will give you the information you need on isometric engines.

And do use the edit feature instead of apologising for CAPS LOCK :)

Sanctus(Posted 2006) [#10]
I was to lazy to write again :P