lets go 3D - once and for all -

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/lets go 3D - once and for all -

MadsNy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello guy’s.

I have tediously been reading the forum trying to find any tutorials on how to use one of the Wrappers you are all talking about for TV3D, but with no ore only less luck, cause most of the topics talked and talked about the best 3D engine (don’t want that topic here : )..

One of the biggest disappointments I have with blitzbasic is it’s Max version promising a max3D but nothing, not even a beta version have come out, as another person talked about on the forum “we are put on in the cold”, well still I like the 2D part of max and cross platform, im balacing between continuing working in max of shifting to C#, but C# needs the silly .net framework to run, silly…

Thou. Im in a need for soon making some more nice 3D art in my installations, therefore my massive investment of time to figure out the hole wrapper and 3D engine thing, my 2 cent on that matter is TV3D seems to be a very good choice to stick with.

But please would someone be so super kind to write some easy understandable tutorials on how to use the TV3D engine and it’s wrapper.

Like:

1. setting up the environment and make it show a primitive (cube)
2. setting up a scene step by step, plus plotting a ew primitives
3. walk through on shaders and texture
4. light setting
5. movement (world coordinates and object coordinates)
6. controlling camera
7. interaction by keys and mouse
8. advanced features and effects (bumbmapping and the like)

I think there’s a lot of people out there with the same wishes, im not sure it possible since most of you talk about bad documentation on third party 3D engines, but you guy’s seems to have some control of it.

Hope anyone have the time and energy to write some tutorials, could make them “wiki” so everyone can alter in them when they find bug’s or the like.

Kind regards
Mads ny larsen

ckob(Posted 2006) [#2]
um
http://www.glimmergames.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2002_articleid=1

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
Someone already was kind enough to write a bunch of tutorials for using both TV3D and the wrapper, and it wasn't me. Kenshin has been tirelessly working on converting all the examples, held back only when he finds a a bug and has to wait until I can find it and fix it.

http://glimmergames.com/forum/index.php?topic=14.0

He's up to fifteen tutorials. Frankly once you've got that far, you should be more than able to use any of the code for other languages. The wrapper is written so that all the code you find in C++, C#, VB and even Delphi should work with minimal changes. ( IE: You're really only changing logic code like ifs, loops, etc. )

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yeah the tutorials are top notch!! Kenshin was super cool to write them. As his schedule permits, he updates them too, and back-updates all the existing tutorials with new bug fixes, etc. Good stuff!

Winni(Posted 2006) [#5]
Hi MadsNy,

besides that I find BlitzMax less cryptic, better readable and, most of all, more fun than C# (although I do like C# a lot), what´s the problem with the .NET or Mono framework?

Since 2002 all Windows XP retail CDs do have the .NET framework on them, so it is safe to assume that almost everybody has a version of it available without needing to download it.

Mono recently was finally approved as an official backend/dependency for Gnome applications, so even on Linux .NET will soon no longer be a problem.

Only the Mac will still be a bit of a problem - esp. since Mono on the Mac is nowhere near to being usable for anything other than server applications.

But in general I don´t think that there is anything speaking against writing code in C#, if you really want to use it. Except for BlitzMax being cooler. :)

MadsNy(Posted 2006) [#6]
thanks for all you posts, this will help greatly:
this morning i installed visual C# express 2005 and TV3D 6.2 on top of it, i must say, it's really nice, extreamly easy to work with it seems, even when there's a bug it helps out in a kind way.

i agree on winni, as a designer i like blitzMax much more, i don't like the .net frame work since you arr building appz for a runtime environment, it all takes up space you could use for let's say a good RPG game like ragnarok hehe. you see my point i guess, it's a feel thing stupied i guess.

I looked at the new XNA beta, seems to be rocking, but then, an information i have forgotten:
UNITY3D
if you don't know about this engine google it.
its a danish program , we are now using it at my old collage for game design, it's fast, easy to use and very nice to look at.

nice thing is, you could easy make a wrapper for bmax, since you can use javascript og C# to control the engine, down side is, it's only for MAC and will stay that way for some time, but i will try to push them a bit since they are locatede in my home towm :).

kind regards.:
mads