Grey Alien Framework V1.01 out! (inc. particle fx)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Grey Alien Framework V1.01 out! (inc. particle fx)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
Yep, the new version is ready and includes an updated AOTMG demo to show off the particle engine.

More info here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62953

Why am I posting here as well as in the showcase? Well, lots of my customers found out about the framework in the BMax forum, rather than the showcase - so I hope you'll forgive me for posting about it here too, as I don't want anyone to miss out. Thanks.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hi Jake. I just received the framework. Thanks for sending; although I did get it twice.

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#3]
Love the particles. Excellent work, as usuall. Thank you very much, Jake.

Barney

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#4]
Cheers Jake, I look forward to working with the volume balanced sound channels. My app that I'm developing has volume issues....

Regards -

Murilo(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks Jake. I didn't receive two copies, so I'm not sure why some people still do...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
You are welcome all. If you got a rar and a zip that was my fault. But if you got two rars or two zips that was the ISP's fault (I used to have that problem and was keen to see if it still occured).

Barnabius: Thanks, they are quite simple but effective. There are many different ways of using the engine, just experiment. You need good .png files with quite transparent particles.

Blitzplotter: Yeah I added volume balancing for my current game as some of the samples clashed and sounded distorted when played simultaneously. The AOTMG demo doesn't use it though as I added the balancing after I made AOTMG, so if you get stuck as me. However, in the end, in my new game, I ended up removing the balancing as I thought that sometimes it sounded odd when a channel played quieter, and I edited all my samples to make them quieter so that none had peaks above 50/60% and I changed one of the clashing ones for a slightly different one and it all sounds fine now...Although I still do use the channel array to limit the number of concurrent samples and also to force one channel to be a "gem landing" sound, for example, and to not play a new landing sound until the old one has finished - this prevents a "machine gun" effect when too many of the same samples play with only a tiny gap in their start times.

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#7]
hmmm, I am very tempted to buy this now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
haha cool. How can I tempt you more? You've seen the demo right and it rocks? You've heard that the first pro framework game, Suduko Maya (by Gellyware) has been released on Real Arcade, and that mine will follow shortly (on all the major portals)? You know that I've got tons of satisfied customers right?

Anyway, any questions, please ask.

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#9]
You can tempt me more by giving a huge discount, but I dont expect that at all because I know it is a quality framework.

I just need to pull the money out of my wallet. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
hah, no need to use money, use Paypal :-)

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#11]
are the particles powered by scripts ?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
No. What happens is you add a particle to a particle list, and with a single command you can specify: coords, x and y movement speed, gravity (any level or none), rotation initial angle, rotation speed, initial scale, scale speed, fade speed (or none), light blend or none. Then the list self manages and the particles do their stuff. OR you can override the list and program in your own movement routines, perhaps following splines or a script you have made - plus you can tweak the colours etc after you have made each particle. Basically my particle engine may not compete with ultra comprehensive ones out there, it's just a natural extension of the TSprite type (called TParticle) which has lots of features, and with a way to manage lots of them (in lists).

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#13]
ok - thanks for the explanation.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#14]
What's with the (tu) guys? :)

Murilo(Posted 2006) [#15]
ozak: I believe it's a mark of respect for Steve Irwin. I believe (tu) represents a turtle image in MSN messenger?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#16]
yep that's right.