Windows XP and DEP: Hwah?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Windows XP and DEP: Hwah?

Tom Darby(Posted 2006) [#1]
...so one of my testers is reporting a Data Execution Prevention error on XP. I'm using dbug's chaos.DesktopExt and no other custom modules; just pure, clean BlitxMax code.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how to prevent DEP error? Does anybody have any ideas as to how to keep my app from throwing DEP errors in the first place?

Russell(Posted 2006) [#2]
If I remember correctly, one of the more recent updates of BlitzMax was supposed to address DEP issues. I would contact customer support directly.

Russell

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#3]
To prevent the error Windows-side (which I would only reccomend as a temporary solution until your app gets fixed not to give the error at all)..

- Right-click My Computer
- Hit Properties
- Click the Advanced tab
- Hit Settings button in the Performance box
- Hit the DEP tab
- Click the turn-on circle
- Add said Bmax app to the list.

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#4]
Compile a small test exe with only BRL's mods included (ie Hello World). If the error remains (unlikely if no else here has had these problems) then file a bug report. But it looks like dbug may need to rewrite the way he interfaces with things in his module.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#5]
there are just things that don't work with DEP as well as things that just don't work on non-admin account (I bet that these errors will come up far more often as with XP SP2 and user accs many "change system settings api functions" got disabled as they need admin right which is a good thing after all. programs have no right to mix the users desktop or system settings without their permission. programmers trying to do it should be banned from INet for a month)