The big viewport test!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/The big viewport test!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi, I'm trying to find out if the viewport command is reliable on ALL PCs/Macs or not.

Please run this code on as many PCs as possible to help out, thanks!:

[edit] here's an exe for easy portability:

http://www.greyaliengames.com/misc/viewport.zip (578kb)

Strict

Graphics 800,600,32
test()
EndGraphics
Graphics 640,480,0
test()

Function test()
	Cls
	SetViewport 100,100,100,100
	DrawOval 0,0,300,300
	Flip
	While Not KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)
	Wend
End Function

It should show a square in full-screen mode, press Escape, you should then see a square in windowed-mode, then press escape to exit. If you see a circle or anything else, please report your findings along with graphics card type. Many thanks in advance.

If anyone has any further info about this, such as they have seen viewport mess up before, please post. If you've seen it mess up before, was it only on DrawImage, or line/shape drawing commands or text drawing? Thanks.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#2]
I've tried it in 1.22 on Win XP, Win 98, Ubuntu Linux, and OS X and it works as you describe on all four, both fullscreen and windowed: a white square toward the left, no circle.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#3]
The OpenGL command is very stable and has worked for ages, so it should pretty damn well work on all systems :)

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#4]
hm.. a test should also include drawing on a MaxGUI-canvas I think..

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#5]
I'm still using v1.20 of BMax and I do not get anything on the second window. But I do believe there was a bug with v1.20 so I will try upgrading now and see what happens.

EDIT: ok, just upgraded to v1.22 and it works fine. White square on both.
Computer specs: AMD XP2400+, 512MB, GeForce FX5200, WinXP SP2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
ok thanks people. TomToad, that's a pretty nutty bug, I did write that in 1.22 but assumed that the code I wrote would have been 1.20 compatible!

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#7]
Just a square in both fullscreen and windowed mode (Radeon 9600Pro), no circles.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
TomToad: did you syncmod? because there was a nasty bug that was fixed shortly before 1.22 that made that endgraphics did not work correctly on DX driver.

works correctly here on both.

Winni(Posted 2006) [#9]
Works on an iMac Core Duo with 256MB X1600.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
OK more positives thanks. It's probably best to test this on crap machines to be honest.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#11]
Sadly, my "crappier" machine isn't setup anymore as it will be sold when I've had time to bring it to acer for backcover replacement. (but even then, it was a P-M Banias 1,5ghz with 9700 64MB ... so most likely not crappy enough. At best you look for dell users, most of them have intel onboard graphic, that should be crappy enough ^^)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
haha, yeah I got an old IBM 800MHz here that I might be able to run a test on later. Just puttin Windows ME on it now.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#13]
Runs OK on a PIII laptop with S3 running W2K.

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#14]
No circles on:

1.6ghz intel mobile, 1gb ram, ati 9700 pro mobility, windows xp sp2.

deps(Posted 2006) [#15]
No circles on a Dell with a crappy intel graphic thingy. ;)
(Must be a good day today...)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#16]
aha some crappy machines there which are still OK, this IS a good sign seeing as I've gone ahead and used viewport for now in my latest game...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
I've added a link to an exe in the first post for easy testing on non BMax machines. Thanks for you cooperation.