game timing test

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/game timing test

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#1]
ok, here is a little test of game timing / smoothness. I would like some feedback on how it looks in fullscreen/windowed, opengl/directx, and vwait on/off. keys are listed that change each of those.

the default number of sprites is 120, it would be great if you could also change that to 1800 and tell me what FPS you get in DirectX and OpenGL. use the cursor up key and adjust the number to the right of sprites (1) to 15. Make sure vwait is off.

I get jumping in when windowed in both directx and opengl. there seems to be no jumping in fullscreen. opengl is WAY faster than max's implementation of DirectX. is it all from the mouse lag fix?

In fullscreen my machine gets 252 fps. with vwait on, 4200 sprites is still perfectly smooth.

download tweentest.zip

thanks

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#2]
I couldn't use up/dn arrow to get sprites to 15 (it only went in even numbers). But at 16 (1920):

Windowed, DirectX, VWait 1: 60 FPS (75 Hz refresh)
Fullscreen, DirectX, VWait 1: 61 FPS
Windowed, OpenGL, VWait 1: 72 FPS
Fullscreen, OpenGL, VWait 1: 61 FPS

Upon running again, I could only set odd sprite numbers. With 15 (1800):

Windowed, DirectX, VWait 0: 145 FPS
Fullscreen, DirectX, VWait 0: 197 FPS
Windowed, OpenGL, VWait 0: 179 FPS
Fullscreen, OpenGL, VWait 0: 199 FPS

My system specs are in sig below - tests were in Windows XP.

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#3]
:) oh, it goes by 2. it starts at 1, you must of hit down first the first time. that wasn't very smart of me.

how did it look.... any jumping in fullscreen?

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#4]
Just a little initial jumping in fullscreen (VWait 0, 1800 sprites) when it first gets going with those settings: the first 10 seconds or so after setting them. A bit of hesitation every few seconds. After that, though, it's glassy smooth.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
totally smooth in Windowed and Full-screen in DX and GL. No jerks at all. 86FPs which is my desktop Hz. Didn't alter the number of sprites.

I say the jerking is something on your PC. Kill ALL background tasks and try again. Failing that, it's your video card...

P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, XP SP2, Radeon 9800XT (256MB)

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#6]
Grey, have you "tuned" your windows install? I've tested a few computers and some have been totally smooth in fullscreen but I've not found one yet that was totally smooth all the time. that's good to know. I'm going to test on a couple of macs...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#7]
hmm I guess I have killed out a lot of background tasks. For example, the only icon in my system tray is Avast. In Msconfig I have 3 things running on n
bootup instead of he usual 20 or whatever. I'm on the laptop now so I'll test again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
laptop gave interesting results. In windows and full screen using DirectX it gave around 115fps and was very jerky with lots of tears. this is obviously because it's failing to vsync, with Vsync 1 or 0 it's the same. However, when I change to OpenGl FPS drops to 60 (refresh rate) and it's all nicely in sync and very smooth. Althought there is the occasional tiny jerk in windowed mode, maybe once per second...