jerking or sticking

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/jerking or sticking

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=58858

Are other people are still seeing this? For me, using the code above, this happens in both OpenGL and directx. Now, I am viewing it on an LCD but this is the same LCD I used with b3d without any of these problems. It seems to jerk or stick once per movement of the block across the screen.

do we know for sure that max can be smooth, has anybody seen anything in max that doesn't have a little jump at some point?

any ideas?

daaan(Posted 2006) [#2]
I run into this problem a lot. I hope there is a fix or that it will be fixed.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#3]
Sure you syncmoded?
I thought some of these problems were fixed since 1.20 through sync mod.

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yeah... I syncmod often. I was under the impression that the mouse lag was fixed. I don't remember and can't find any comments on this being fixed.

Just tested my mac laptop and I didn't see any jumping in the above example. I'm going to find some more windows computers to test

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
V1.20 fixed two issues that I and others were harping on about. 1) mouse lag (more correctly this was a DirectX 7 rendering lag issue). This wouldn't make the square jerk in the demo as the mouse isn't used. 2) vertical tearing in windowed mode when using Flip 1. This wouldn't make the square jerk either, it just makes it have tears when changing graphics to 800,600,0 and using Flip-1. Note that even in 1.20 Flip-1 in windowed mode still has v. tearing as BRL didn't want to "fix" it because -1 means "use software timing" so Vsync isn't applicable.

I've posted in the other thread that the issue on my laptop was to do with multimonitors.

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#6]
yeah I didn't think it was fixed...

Does anybody have a max windows executable that runs perfectly smooth? can you share it, I'll test some other computers. So, far using that expample in directx on my machine show a stutter or jerk about once everytime across the screen. The same is for opengl.

on 3 other windows computers in opengl I get jumping and jerking to. I will test those with directx too. The only computer that I have seen perfectly smooth without jumping or jerking was my mac laptop.

I need to do some more tests.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#7]
Have you tried running my Attack of the Mutant Greys demo, made with the grey alien blitzmax game framework? See if that runs smooth. If you get jerks on the UFOs every so often then you probably have some background tasks running on all PCs that affect it...In fact I added thing to my code that allows you to boost the Windows thread prioty which may help.

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#8]
yeah just tried it... they do "stick" once across the screen. I've been looking into this now for a few days and have been following all your posts about this over the past months. I wanted to see if a tween routine would help, I've always like tweening better than delta. I've uploading a test in another thread, the sticking or jumping while in fullscreen "seems" to be gone on my machine

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#9]
1.22 doesn't seem to fix the test above (for me anyway)... fullscreen still has 1 jump each time the block goes across the scree. vwait -1 and 1.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
strange. Logically the test above should NEVER jump as it's moving whole pixel numbers once per frame so it should be totally smooth UNLESS some background task causes it to miss a frame. Of course using fixed rate logic/delta time or tweening should mean that when a frame is missed, the code compensates by moving the object the correct distance based on time passed, but this shoudl still result in a visual jerk. It's interesting that the tweening has resulted in no jerks on your PC. Wonder if you can adapt the square test above to use tweening...

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#11]
Yeah that's what I thought... did some more research and it seems this is a problem with windows in general. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my timing routine. I'll tween the block and see how that looks...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
I spent a LONG time on all this stuff a while back when making my framework. I know that my timing routine is fine and that Flip 0 doesn't look that good (due to tearing), and that you need the DirectX Lag Fix (now built in). On many PCs this is perfect but it just isn't on others. I found that you can boost the thread priority in code on these other PCs and often this removes the jerking, but it's hardly a perfect solution.