Strategy to render shadows

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Strategy to render shadows

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

I have a problem rendering my shadows and got the feeling I'm doing it the wrong way. Here's how I do it now:

Background-"Layer" rendered first
B/W version ("created" with glBlendFunc GL_ZERO,GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA) of Sprites blended on top of this with a small offset (to emulate shadow)
Sprites drawn at last.

This method is very fast and looks nice (well, mostly). The problem occurs if two shadows overlap. The blendmode used cause the shadows to darken in this areas. Using "black"(alpha 1.0) as shadowcolor would help but doesn't look good.

Is this something I have to live with, or are there better solutions to draw shadows of alphablended sprites?
How do you do it in your games?

Jake

PS: I'm not limited to Max2D-commands, my engine use both Max2D and raw commands, but any solution should work under DX and OGL.

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#2]
No one uses dropshadows in his game? Maybe the solution is so simply that I'm unable to see it, but I'm having a really hard time with this. I don't ask for a ready chewn piece of code, just a way to get overlapping dropshadows that "clamp" at a given alphalevel instead of darken themselves.

Hopefully someone can help me,

Jake

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#3]
Won't be much help but the Zombieblast demo has the same problem. I'd suggest putting something on gamedev.net as, I think, you'll have to get into the 'SetRenderState' (for DX) level.
<edit> For OGL glBlendFunc( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA )?
<edit2> Shame there was no response to this

Brendane(Posted 2006) [#4]
Can't you do this by enabling GL_DEPTHTEST and not writing when depth values are equal?

Brendane(Posted 2006) [#5]
I've knocked up an example of what I'm talking about :-

It uses a depth test (so the shadow pixel doesn't overwrite one already there) and an alpha func which prevents pixels being written if they have an alpha below a .25 threshold.

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#6]
Have a look into your replicator, there should be a bunch of flowers, a big pepperoni-onion pizza and a sixpack of beer. Enjoy ;)

I played with your example, read the OGL-docs and now I understand what your example does and how this work.

This is as brilliant as its simple. Thank you again!

Jake

Brendane(Posted 2006) [#7]
Got them thanks! ;)

No worries, glad to be of service :) - I wrote that while half asleep last night, it was only the flashy background keeping me awake - I should have put an epilepsy warning up.

The same principles apply if you need to convert it to DX.

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#8]
Hi, it's me again. I don't know why but my DX7-version won't run. I think the ZBuffer check fails, but that's just a guess.

Beside of changing Initialization and CLS to handle Depthbuffer, I changed the following GL-commands to DX:
glEnable GL_DEPTH_TEST
glEnable GL_ALPHA_TEST
glAlphaFunc GL_GREATER, 0.25

Based on my DX7-docs I converted this to:
primarydevice.device.SetRenderState  D3DRS_ZENABLE,true
primarydevice.device.SetRenderState  D3DRS_ZFUNC, D3DCMP_LESS
primarydevice.device.setrenderstate D3DRS_ALPHATESTENABLE, true
primarydevice.device.setrenderstate D3DRS_ALPHAFUNC, D3DCMP_GREATER
primarydevice.device.setrenderstate D3DRS_ALPHAREF,$40

but this won't do anything, so I must miss something.

Here is the sample from above altered for DX use:

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#9]
I revisited this problem yesterday and think I know why the DX-version fails. Seems like I have to create a zbuffer-surface and attach it to the backbuffer. At least this is what I get from the DX7 docs. I don't know if it's allowed to do this on the fly, but will give this a try.

Anyone knows how to access the backbuffer-surface?

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#10]
Just live with it. Every game that uses projection shadows has this error.