What map editor?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/What map editor?

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#1]
What map editor do you use for your games and why?

Thanks

Russ.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
I generally write my own. Thats the best way of getting an application that does exactly what you need it to do - no more, no less.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#3]
dito

Map-editors are also a matter of taste and preferred workflow. Often enough, the GUI and workflow could be so much better to suit your gamerequirements and even your style of working. I rather make my own editor instead of working my way through an arcane interface and missing functionality.

Map-editors are like instruments, they need to be built by experienced instrumentbuilders. Most ppl are *not* instrumentbuilders!

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
I use graphpaper

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#5]
3D World Studio, of course.

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#6]
I meant to say for 2D games.

Thanks

pappavis(Posted 2006) [#7]
Generally you can try http://tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php

Something i wonder: whne making a map of say 500 tiles high by 22 tiles wide, must i place each tile individually in Mappy??? That seems to me one huge manual labor task! Any suggestions for automation?

BTW i try to use a tool such as mappy coz i still am getting to grips with programming in BlitzMax, let alone game programming..

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#8]
A decent editor should have macros/brushes (complete doors, walls, grasspatches, trees etc. etc.). If not, I wouldn't even bother downloading it, let alone use it.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#9]
I meant to say for 2D games.

BAM! 3D World Studio was used for this:

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#10]
You are saying that 3D World Studio can be used for 2D scrolling platform games?

Thanks

Cartman(Posted 2006) [#11]
If you want a 2d editor, try this one out.
http://www.mapeditor.de.vu

And here's the updated module, I just fixed. It allows you to quickly load them into your games:
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62511

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#12]
You are saying that 3D World Studio can be used for 2D scrolling platform games?

in Bmax???

Torrente(Posted 2006) [#13]
I'm pretty sure that the graphics in that screenshot were 3d models in 3D World Studio that were rendered and used as 2d images.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#14]
It looks that way but the 3D World Studio Features doesn't suggest you can export to an image format.
I could be much mistaken.

Torrente(Posted 2006) [#15]
Well, it could have been done with a screenshot, although that would be kind of primitive for a tool that's pretty decent feature-wise. Either that, or perhaps it's just a mostly 2d game with a few 3d meshes here and there.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#16]
Its in 3d with a verticle camera

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#17]
It's not really any good for what I need a map editor for then.

Thanks

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#18]
i'm using FishEd.

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#19]
Thing with FishEd is that the code to show a map has not been coverted to BlitzMax yet (it is being done, but no ETA when it will be ready) so I either have to wait or use different software.

Thanks

Russ.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#20]
I'm still trying World Artist and like it but agree that writing your own is a good way to go. I did it in B2D but haven't got around to it in Bmax. In B2D it was pretty much decided how you were going to do it. With Bmax there just seems to be too many variables. It shouldn't matter 'cos it *will* work but I find some bizarre pressure to do it the 'right' way.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#21]
Yeah, that's the crap I experience as well. My record in B+ was making a complete single-layer simple mapeditor, including macros/brushes, in 1.5 hour. In BMax I tend to make things flex and futureproof, it kills the spontanity. ;P

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#22]
FishED lets you save out a basic map thats just width*height, cant get any simpler. You just write code to load the data into an array, load an animimage and draw the relevant tiles.

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#23]
Do you have sample code that show's how to do this for all layers and to scroll them?

Thanks