Sound Issues (Blitz and FMOD)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Sound Issues (Blitz and FMOD)

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm using Max to play sound effects and FMOD to steam music. However, there seems to be an issue that after a long period of time, all sounds stop playing?

The FMOD music continues to play, but the sound effects just stop? I've being trying to replicate the issue with a test program with no luck. Anyone else have this kind of issue?

Thanks

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#2]
Found the issue! My game was not freeing the channels. However, the test applicaiton was freeing the channels. After 4095 channels you can't allocate any more.:)

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#3]
Aren't channels freed when the sound has finished playing?

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#4]
I found that you need to check to see if the channnel is still playing and then use Stop Channel. I'll check my code when I get home.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
No the channels are not freed when the sound stop, in case you want to reuse the channel of course. Stop channel does free the channel (but does not null the channel pointer) although I always maintained that this was misleading as if you try to use the channel pointer again it crashes.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#6]
Question, If you Null the channel pointer does this mean the channel will auto stop?

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#7]
I've been making a habit of calling PlaySound and discarding the returned handle... does this mean after 4095 or whatever sounds the audio system will just die?