Porting from Mac OS X to Windows

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Porting from Mac OS X to Windows

Kemi(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm currently trying to port my Mac OS X game to Windows.
My game uses only standard graphics, no Open GL, nothing special in fact.
Are there any things I have to be aware of when I want to run the game on Windows, except re-compiling.

For example: When I compiled on Windows, it gave me an error at string.contains and string.endswith, I had to replace that with string.find.

But still my game just crashes on Win: It shows the logo, plays the music, but nothing happens (should continue after 5 seconds or mouseclick). I cannot even ctrl-alt-delete stop the app! Any experience with that?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hmm, normally it should work without problems if there isn't some frameworking involved (which would need a different one on windows normally as DX is the default module for graphics and the one that should be used. While on nonWindows its OpenGL)

That it does not go further and not respond to ctrl-alt-del sounds like there happens something like an endless loop.
But without a more specific description of what is happening there code wise, its hard to say what could be causing that.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#3]
Is your mac and windows version fully up to date with syncmods and all. Maybe your mac version is older and something changed?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#4]
yeah.... string.endswith is a very new bit of functionality... so it sounds like your windows Max install needs a syncmods.

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#5]
Inbin appears to be slightly different on Macs and Pcs. I could never get it to inc fonts, check all your external files to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. Are you using any compiled modules on Mac you don't have on the PC ?