OOP Design Dilemma

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/OOP Design Dilemma

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm having second thoughts about the cleanest way to design all my types/classes in my game engine. For the sake of keeping it short and simple for people to see what I'm up to, I'll pick a basic example.

[code]
Type GameEngine
' DETAILS OF THE 3D ENGINE GO IN HERE
' AMONG MANY OTHER THINGS, OF COURSE...
End Type

Type GameCamera
' THIS NEEDS TO ACCESS THE CAMERA CLASS OF THE 3D ENGINE.
End Type
[code]

Ok, simple enough, I think. Keep everything neat and tidy in it's own class, but the Engine class has the inner workings of the 3d engine within. Perhaps a class for cameras.

Now my game camera class needs to use that class to position it's camera, and perhaps check for collisions with meshes. So hmm.. yeah. it'll need the mesh class instance too.

Would it be cleaner design to give the camera class ( and every other class ) copies of the handles it might need ( as globals / statics obviously, since they will be the same for every instance of the camera class ) or would ie be cleaner to ( as I currently do ) give the camera class ( and all similar classes ) a handle back to the engine, which it can then use to work with the camera and mesh classes.

Of course, if the Engine is a singleton ( well, a fake-singleton really, with all globals and functions, no fields or methods ) then it need not have the instance, it can just call the class itself to access the camera and mesh classes. But either way, it's kinda the same effect. Should the camera and other game object classes have duplicates for everything or should they ( as I currently have it ) go back to the "root" or "hub" Engine class?

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#2]
I would personally do it something like this:
Global Engine:TEngine

Type TEngine
' when created, sets the Engine variable to this so other entities can easily access it
End Type

Type TEntity
' all the basic entity handling, positioning, etc
End Type

Type TCamera Extends TEntity
' your camera!
End Type

It's all personaly preference and using OOP to the best you can.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#3]
I personally prefer the "include" way to create packages which then are imported. That way, inheritance issues can be avoided and the design can be broken down to something "better controlable"

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#4]
You can do what Dreamora says (I even would say you shuld), but also it's a very very good idea to derive all base objects from a base class, as Regular K says.

It's also a very good practicle to avoid cross referencing, I mean, if your 3D engine points to an instance of the camera object, don't make the camera object point to the base engine. This will keep everything clean to the garbage collector.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#5]
*very depending on your classes*, you might be able to use the event system to send around events and create event-listeners in the required classes.

Like, the cameraclass sends out an event when its coords change, it sends event.x, event.y and event.data (for z), event.source to identify and event.id to give the event type. Emit it. Next somewhere in the 3d engine an event listener picks up the event, and you can extract x y z again. This way, the 3d engine and camera class really don't need to know eachother. But it only works for some situations, might not work for yours. It might also require you to create your classes in a somewhat different way, to be prepared for all this sending around. For more info to send around you could try the .extra field.. (never done so, except for sending an own GUI object's helptext to one of my help-displayers)

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#6]
small example of my point:

you can comment out either the creation of cl or cle .. the functionality is gone, but the program still runs. As you see, the cl and cle really don't know eachother, all communication is done by using events. Ofcourse this is a small example, it's not even perfect.. if you add another cle (cle2) at some different coord, then that one also reacts on changes automatically. I didn't include ID's to limit functionality to a given cle, couldn't be bothered to either.. it's just for demo'ing purposes!

H&K(Posted 2006) [#7]
Handles as Global fields