Terrible artist here

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Terrible artist here

luke101(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello,
I am eager to start on my video game but lacking any skill in the creative atrs. I will appreciate it very much if someone could recommend me a good book on digital art creation and/or sprite creation.

I need to make my current art animated sprites. If you would like to take a look at the kind of art I need you can download my game here. Run the test1 file.

www.incomehunting.com/prime.zip

Let me know if I can improve anything.
thanks

cloned(Posted 2006) [#2]
color shading is key to any sprites, for those really small sprites it can't be done very much

the bigger the sprites the more colors of shading

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2006) [#3]
Just use MS Paint and keep at it

Zoom in at 800%, press CTRL+G to activate the grid when you need it, press CTRL+F to get a quick look at your work zoomed out, and any key to go back to normal

Use the Pencil tool for most things, if you need to make things look symmetrical, copy/paste and then right click and Flip/Rotate -> Flip Horizontal/vertical

Keep drawing and colouring people from various angles, it wont be long till you notice yourself improving

cloned(Posted 2006) [#4]
i would recommend graphicsgale, a freeware graphics maker and it has features like layering, a large starting pallette, the ability to save to many different formats, high zoom, grid, all the other stuff in MS Paint plus a bunch of other stuff

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#5]
And let's not cancel out 'create your own drawing tool'. If you're not creative, or you think you can't use current tools, perhaps it's because non-creative people have a different opinion on how to create things.
I was astonished when I found out that a dyslectic friend made his own written language which he could perfectly read. This is a bit similar, perhaps non-creative ppl are blind to conventional tools but would really be able to use their own tools.

(he once lost bunch o' papers with his language, the police found it.. and he had to explain all the crappy symbols there at the office ^_^ .. you know, it *could* be secret terrorist communication! :P)

cloned(Posted 2006) [#6]
lol, but that just goes to show you that just because they are dyslectic doesn't mean they are stupid. they just think differently than most people

also if you want to make your own image maker program just be ready for some headaches

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2006) [#7]
I = Dyslexic, Autistic + ADHD, what do I win?

Seriously, MS Paint is all you need for pixel art, you can even create 3x(0->255) colours using Colors -> Edit Colors (what dreadful spelling Americans have) and it gives you a little slider to help make gradients

cloned(Posted 2006) [#8]
but it is so bad, i mean it takes forever to make anything decent and you have to be really talented to do that. i have seen good stuff made in it but the guy spent years in it yet in photoshop or fireworks i can make really good things in half a hour

also did you ever think that the US jsut spells things differently, i looked it up and both are correct just like a lot of other word spellings

also i don't hear the "u" sound in color, i rather have all words spelled like they sound. most used to be but the pronouncing changed over time

all hail the power of wikipedia!!!!

Ragz(Posted 2006) [#9]
Colour/Color sounds more like Culla anyway, no 'o's at all.

Anyway, advanced image editing programs provide more useful features that can save time etc.

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#10]
Doing pixel graphics in mspaint is akin to writing code in notepad; stupid.

cloned(Posted 2006) [#11]
the only time i would use either of them is if i am at someone else's house and they don't have a grpahics program and i don't wnat to install BMAX on their computer to just uninstall it when i leave

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2006) [#12]
kronholm:
I do that as well, not for Blitz, but pretty much for everything else

Arowx(Posted 2006) [#13]
I like using Xara Xtreme as it allows easy creation of scalable vector art that looks good and would take far too long in paint to do. It allows me to create basic art with a sci-fi, plastic/metal look. It's even free for unix!

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2006) [#14]
What if we dont want basic art with a sci-fi, plastic/metal look?

Back to Paint and doing it properly I suppose

ozak(Posted 2006) [#15]
ProMotion is commercial but a great pixel art tool inspired by Deluxe Paint . Pixen on OSX is great too.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#16]
Actually, a script based texture generator orso would suit a coder fine, it's like programming gfx in a script-based/non-destructive way.