BlitzMax Book

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax Book

TommyBear(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi Guys,

Long time no post :) I hope everyone is well. I'm terribly busy, one of the reasons, is the subject of my post here.

I'm in the process of writing a book dealing with game programming using BlitzMax. It will leverage my experience working with BlitzMax and my experience as a professional game programmer in the Australia and US games industry.

The book is scheduled to be published somewhere between Q4 this year and Q1 next year worldwide. So! Why do I post here? Well there are two reasons:

1) Each of the chapters of my book needs a screenshot from extacly one BliztMax game/application. The best screenshots will be chosen from those submitted to grace each chapter.

2) There is a chapter in my book called "Game Developer Case Studies". This is where BlitzMax developers get to talk about how they went about making their games with BlitzMax.

What's the payoff? This is what you get:

- Your name in the contributors list at the front of the book
- Your game and your website/details in the book being published worldwide
- Glory? I don't know... kudos or something :)

So what can you send me(read carefully below)?

- Screenshot contributors (completed or non-completed game/app in progress)
- One per submitter please
- PNG screenshot of your game
- Your name/Company name
- Your website/Details
- Everything in zip file

OR

- Case study submitters (Only fully finished games/projects please)
- One per submitter please
- PNG screenshot of your game
- Your name/Company name
- Your website/Details
- Everything in zip file
- Questions:
- Are your Indie, Solo or Professional?
- How many people worked on the project?
- How long did it take you to develop your game/app?
- How much money did you spend?
- Who did the design, story, programming, art, sound, music and QA?
- Why BlitzMax?
- If applicable: How was your cross-platform experience with BlitzMax?
- Any previous projects?
- Are you published?
- If you could change anything about the way you developed your game, what would it be?
- One final question: What are quibbles? (Make up an inventive answer)

Email your submissions to: tommybear2@...

Tommy.

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#2]
Are you still gonna do a libary/tool follow up? - cause I'll give some sceenies of HighGUI 3.

TommyBear(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah for sure upload some screens and information about the project! Sorry if I wasn't clear, but libraries and tools are most welcome.

Tommy.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#4]
Add a free book to the people who contribute ?

If I get a fre copy and you chose my stuff then count me in.

Jason W.(Posted 2006) [#5]
I hope your book talks about the language and syntax (with examples) and not just what people have developed with it.

BTW, thanks for writing a book on BM.

Jason

TommyBear(Posted 2006) [#6]
Yes it does. @Yavin... we'll see come publishing time, no promises.

Tommy.

Russell(Posted 2006) [#7]
I assume that this book (I'm more interested in the book then the submissions) is using/assuming version 1.20 (or later) of BM?

Will it be spiral-bound (please please please!!!!) or standard?

Thanks,
Russell

cloned(Posted 2006) [#8]
i will try to get you some shots of my game i am working on if i can find a good spriter in time to make the need graphics

TommyBear(Posted 2006) [#9]

I assume that this book (I'm more interested in the book then the submissions) is using/assuming version 1.20 (or later) of BM?

Yes.

Will it be spiral-bound (please please please!!!!) or standard?

At the moment the binding is perfect-binding (standard).

Tommy.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
Will you be talking about useful BMax modules that people can use such as my Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework that gives people a great headstart? I have screenshots of the demo game I made with it.

Also, I'm working on my 3rd commercial game right now (the first two were in BlitzPlus and I changed to BMax for good reasons!) which I can give you screenshots of unless you can wait until September, when it will be ready/published and suitable for a case study. Interested?

TommyBear(Posted 2006) [#11]
Guys you can email me your submissions via tommybear2@.... I've updated my earlier post to reflect this too.

TommyBear(Posted 2006) [#12]

Will you be talking about useful BMax modules that people can use such as my Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework that gives people a great headstart? I have screenshots of the demo game I made with it.

There is a tools and libraries chapter in my book and your framework would fit well with that so email it through.

Also, I'm working on my 3rd commercial game right now (the first two were in BlitzPlus and I changed to BMax for good reasons!) which I can give you screenshots of unless you can wait until September, when it will be ready/published and suitable for a case study. Interested?

Yes of course. The book is not due to be completed until early December, so any new material until that time will be considered. I'll post a warning, one week before I close the book off, so that people can get final submissions in.

Tommy.

cloned(Posted 2006) [#13]
what if we have a bunch of screenshots and can't pick which one to send in. can we just send them all in and let you pick which one is best

TommyBear(Posted 2006) [#14]

what if we have a bunch of screenshots and can't pick which one to send in. can we just send them all in and let you pick which one is best

Not a problem.

cloned(Posted 2006) [#15]
sweet, i never am able to pick a best one out of 6 or less

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#16]
TommyBear: Thanks for your answers. I'll send some info tomorrow, must finish what I'm doing right now :-)

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#17]
Yeah for sure upload some screens and information about the project! Sorry if I wasn't clear, but libraries and tools are most welcome.

Cool, I'll email you some screenies/info soon.

TommyBear(Posted 2006) [#18]
Hi everyone,

I'd like to just thank everybody that have sent me screenshots and info of their projects... Some of them are very cool.

Please keep them coming... at this point, it is the more the merrier!

Thanks again,
Tommy.

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#19]
Cool - I've just sent you some stuff :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#20]
yeah me too :-)