BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/feature request: Highlight - End Highlight

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#1]
Highlight
  MyFunction
  MyMethod
  MyVar
  MyWhatever
End Highlight

Extremely handy, no more hacking with that comands doc, and in case something was planned like adding some menu in the IDE to input these vars: forget it.. this command does all that dynamically, meaning it works everywhere! You could add this in a type, so all methods would be highlighted at once, and you can add it in your import/includefiles so all your stuff is highlighted. Compile it once and the to be highlighted words are added to its internal highlight-list. Erase one of the words, compile it, and the internal highlight list should be rebuilt..

nice idea? :P

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#2]
What a great idea!!! Pretty please, with a cherry on the top?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#3]
I dont get it.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#4]
To highlight your own commands, you'd have to add them to that commands doc, somewhere in your bmax dir. That's a bit cumbersome to do, not to mention that each syncmod overwrites that doc so you need to c/p your stuff in it *again*.

By having a construction like the one I mentioned you set your to-be-highlighted commands in code! This way it's easier to do highlighted methods, which would otherwise be ignored. And it means that it'll also highlight at someone else's place!

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#5]
It would be nice if BRL added a hook which checks for a user commands file.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#6]
That wouldn't be as powerful tho. The funny part is that if you make such a highlight definition local then it only works local. Like in a type, it only highlights highlighted methods in that type.
If highlighted words come from that doc, then they're all global, which looses potential!

DivineDominion(Posted 2006) [#7]
Guess you need a more powerfull IDE. Like eclipse, which parses your project's code files for classes and methods etc. to show you tooltips; probably one could set up something like "javadoc" to enable highlighting, like:

<code>
''
'' Description
'' @return boolean True, if you rule
'' @highlight
''
Method doIRule:int()
Return true
EndMethod
</code>

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#8]
What if there was a folder, and all the text files inside would be read for the command list?

So BRL can have their commands, I can have my own txt, you can have your own.

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#9]
BLIde?