What is the max pixmap size?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/What is the max pixmap size?

Ziltch(Posted 2006) [#1]
Does anyone know the max size a pixmap can be?
I an creating icon thumbnails in a directory listbox and need to make sure the pixmap it needs is within legal dimensions.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#2]
Not a BMax user here, but from my understanding, isn't the max size of the pixmap dependent on the users videocard?

Unsure if pixmaps *do* actually have a hard-coded "max" resolution, but a safe size for most modern-range systems would be 1024x1024...., and that size a texture could hold a crapload of 32x32px thumbnails.

d-bug(Posted 2006) [#3]
I would prefer 512x512. Not all GFX-cards can handle 1024x1024.

Ziltch(Posted 2006) [#4]
Pixmaps are CPU not GPU based I think. Images are GPU dependent.
The pixmap I am creating is for a iconstrip. So the pixmap will not be displayed.

The largest icon option I want is 128x128 so the iconstrip will be 128x????? max.

I have found that it is the Windows CreateCompatibleBitmap that fails. So It Bitmap limit not a pixmap limit as I thought.
MSDN states 16Meg is the max bitmap size for Win98 but no mention of the max for Win2000/XP.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#5]
The pixmap size has nothing to do with the IMAGE size. Images can only be up to the size supported by the graphics card, but pixmaps don't have this limit. They are probably limited by the size of the data format used to describe their dimensions, either up to 65536 or maybe 4 billion x 4 billion if its an integer. Since Pixmaps are in main ram you can more or less have any size you want. It's only if you convert a pixmap into an image that you have the size constraint.