@BRL: Recent MaxGUi changes

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/@BRL: Recent MaxGUi changes

neilo(Posted 2006) [#1]
Skid / Mark,

I see that ListBoxes are now emitting EVENT_GADGETSELECT events for clicks that don't have any list items, or deselecting list items.

Whilst this is all good and usefull (and NOT a bug, hence posting here), this has caused major breakage to my code today because the previous documented behaviour was to only emit a EVENT_GADGETSELECT (upgraded from EVENT_GADGETACTION a few weeks ago) when something was selected. All of a sudden, I'm getting ListIndex's of -1, causing array access code to go splat. You might say "good programming practice means that I should validate all data before acting upon it", and you would be right. But, I've coded according to published specifications and now my code is breaking because the specs changed without my knowledge.

I hate to ask it, but can we get advanced notification of changes which change the basic functionality of gadgets? At least that way, I can assess my code and know in advance some pain is coming, or even plan around the changes and set some time aside to make the fixes BEFORE the change hits.

Thanks,

Neil

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#2]
This was discussed/suggested earlier so many times. Not even a statement from BRL so far :(

Here's the evil way to go each day/week/month:
1.)Syncmod
2.)Write down /copypaste a list of changed modules
3.)Load the source of each module on list.
4.)If you're lucky you find a short history-note what have changed. Try to guess what this means for your programs...

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hi Neil, my apologies for the problems caused and yes, in future any changes to the documented behavior of maxgui will be posted for discussion before modules are modified instead of being implemented in the haphazard manner as the recent list box changes on the various platforms has been.

neilo(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hi Skid,