Request Official Blitz Response to SOUND

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Request Official Blitz Response to SOUND

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#1]
I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but I would very much like to know where BlitzMax is going in the next 6 months regarding sound support. I have to make a decision on whether to stay with BMax's native sound support in hopes that it will improve, or go with a 3rd party solution. BlitzMax is not a toy for me; it’s a critical tool that I use at my job and I think an official response is necessary and overdue.

I’m sure everyone has their own list of wants and needs regarding the current state of audio in BlitzMax. Perhaps this thread would be a good place to list the features we’d like to see supported. For me, I’d love to see support for audio streaming, faster load times for .oggs (streaming would fix this), basic DSP effects (such as reverb, etc.), MP3 support, more stability and compatibility across platforms and OSs...just for starters.

I previously suggested in another thread that BRL should release an Advanced Sound Module for BlitzMax. I’d gladly pay another $25 for a module that would give BlitzMax native functionality similar to that of FMOD. This is a win-win scenario...BRL makes more money and we’d get quality sound support. In fact, I would much quicker buy a Sound module right now than the 3D module.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#2]
Yeah... I don't mind to pay it, as long as we have to.

This is a point "BlitzMax is not a Toy", I really hope it's as powerful as possible(If you see the enhancements of PureBasic 4, BMax seems a bit left behind)

OGG streaming and XM playing is kinda enough.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm also willing to pay for an advanced audio module if that helps.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
yeah me too but I'd rather see just streaming ogg support for free :-)

JoeRetro(Posted 2006) [#5]
Tachyon , I would suggest looking into BASS. It's a fine audio library that can achieve the results you want and many others. I'm currently using it to stream internet radio. Works like a charm and for price tag, $100, it's well worth it.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#6]
JoeRetro: It does look nice- I recently checked it out. I have no problem going with a 3rd party solution if Mark would just give us the word that he doesn't intend to offer any better audio support for BlitzMax within the next 12 months. My project is running behind with sound because I don't know if I should keep waiting on BRL, or go with BASS or FMOD or PortAudio or OpenAL or....?

With all these 3rd party solutions being adapted for Bmax, it seems really obvious that we are all needing something better than what is available natively.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#7]
Your best bet for a response on this kind of thing is to email Blitzsupport.

marksibly(Posted 2006) [#8]
We have no plans to make any modifications to the sound system in the near future.

From the sounds of your 'wanted' list, you'd probably be best going with a 3rd party library.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#9]
Thank you, Mark. I really do appreciate the response!

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks Mark... much better than silence!

I must have missed it... where was the mod people were doing based on OpenAL?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#11]
I’d gladly pay another $25 for a module that would give BlitzMax native functionality similar to that of FMOD.
No offense, but unfortunately an FMOD license costs a fair bit more than $25. I don't think it's realistic to expect BRL to deliver $12000 USD worth of functionality for 25 bucks.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#12]
If someone made a miniFmod loader for freeaudio, that'll be great..... I can donate/purchase it, I need a XM player that's less bloated :|

EDIT:
I know nothing about portaudio and don't have time to look at it, however if OpenAL becomes standard for BMX I may choose OAL tho.

REDi(Posted 2006) [#13]
Streaming oggs/wavs will be added to maxmod very soon (next update) ;)

http://redi.me.uk/downloads/maxmod_1.7_oggstream_demo.rar

Swaping to openal is working out great, mod playback is still a tad slow (30% cpu on a 32 channel mod) but better than it was, but i still need to optimize it to be more openal friendly, i could even go back to hardware mixing now.

I'll also be adding 3d sound and doppler effect ect, when i get time ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
REDi: This sounds great. I look forward to seeing it seeing as BRL plan no update (shame).

popcade(Posted 2006) [#15]
If the openal can be fully adapted, it seems to be better than freeaudio...

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#16]
Sounds good.

Regarding "needing something better than what is available natively": do you mean to imply that BR can, on their lonesome, create software that carries out every aspect of a game and do a better job of it than other software that has already been in development for many years?
What they do well is making stuff that fits within the concept of Blitz, keeping it all nice and user friendly.
...Which, in the end, makes it the superior solution for the situation of most Blitz products; but Max is nice and accessible for a reason!
Go ahead: Try those other libraries :)

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#17]
Picklesworth- The "concept of Blitz", or rather BlitzMax, is that it's a modular platform. BRL has done a awesome job with BlitzMax so far. They've given us the GUI module, and the 3D module on it's way...I just wanted clarification on whether or not an improved sound module was a possibility. Mark gave his answer. I personally think that Mark & his talented crew could make a kick-ass Sound Module if that was their priority.

REDi(Posted 2006) [#18]
http://redi.me.uk/forum/index.php (Just in case you missed it ;D )