AI..

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/AI..

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2006) [#1]
Argh...AI is the toughest thing I've have seen in programming! I read a article about it http://ai-depot.com/FiniteStateMachines/ . Yet I still don't understand how to put this in blitzmax code.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#2]
There's nothing to it, mate. Start simple. Here's a simple one that should make a dot 'walk' left and right on the screen, turninng at each end. Don't have max here so may have a couple of bugs.

The heart of the machine is a select statement that executes the right code for the current state. In this example if the state is STATE_GO_RIGHT, we send our dot one pixel to the right and look to see if it got to the right edge of the screen. When it does, it flips the state to STATE_GO_LEFT which will start it walking to the left. The current state is just stored as an integer - declaring consts with names makes the code easier to read.

const STATE_GO_RIGHT=0
const STATE_GO_LEFT=1
current_state=STATE_GO_RIGHT
x=0

graphics 800,600,32,60
repeat
   cls
   select current_state
       case STATE_GO_RIGHT
          x=x+1
          if x=800 current_state=STATE_GO_LEFT
       case STATE_GO_LEFT
          x=x-1
          if x=0 current_state=STATE_GO_RIGHT
   end select
   plot x,100
   flip
until keyhit(KEY_ESCAPE)

I know this behaviour wont seem very 'intelligent' but anything more complicated really just builds on this simple principle.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#3]
this might help and the download still works (good ole Morduun) with BB code which should be easy to read.
If you're into AI then check 'Programming Game AI by Example' by Mat Buckland which includes a great example of an FSM.

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2006) [#4]
thank you tonyg! Yes blitzbasic is very similar to blitzmax and it's easy to convert it myself =P.

deps(Posted 2006) [#5]
Programming Game AI by Example

Funny you should mention that one, I'm waiting for Mr Mailman to turn up any minute now with my copy of it. :)

It looks like an excellent book and it got some nice reviews at amazon.com.