Lua - where has it gone?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Lua - where has it gone?

Rozek(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello!

Yesterday, I downloaded the BlitzMAX trial, found that it supports Lua - today I bought BlitzMax & MaxGUI, updated to the actual verson and...well, now I can't find Lua any more :-(

Even an "import axe.lua" fails...

Does anybody have an idea what I have made wrong? (since the update I don't even get an "about box" for MaxIDE any longer - it seems as if it has been a bad idea to update!?)

By the way: which version of Lua is currently supported? hopefully, Lua 5.1.x?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Andreas Rozek

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#2]
If you want to include you have to download "axe.lua" first. This can either be done by using the syncmods tool:
<bmxpath>/bin/syncmods -u <user> -p <password> AXE
or you can download the MaxIDE Communtiy Edition and use the extended Sync Mods Dialog...

Rozek(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks!

I downloaded the MaxIDE and installed it - now I can "import axe.lua", but it's no longer mentioned in the IDE's help section!?

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#4]
Did you restart the IDE after you synchronised the modules?
The axe.lua module should be at Help/Modules/LUA Scripting/LUA Core...

Rozek(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well,

I *did* restart the IDE but LUA is still not mentioned, neither on my WinXP nor on my MacOS X machine :-(

Is there anything else I'll have to configure in order to see "Lua"?

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#6]
It looks like the documentation hasn't been updated. You can do this manually by running the docmods tool (in your BlitzMax/bin directory).
-- Byteemoz

Rozek(Posted 2006) [#7]
Hmmm,

I ran docmods both under WinXP and under MacOS X - after shutting down MaxIDE. Then I started MaxIDE again: now I get Lua again, but only under WinXP, not under MacOSX.

Does that mean that Lua is not available under MacOS X? If yes, will it be under Linux (could not test it myself yet)

Rozek(Posted 2006) [#8]
Ok,

by comparing the directory structures of WinXP and MacOSX I ound out, that the MacOSX version of MaxIDE does not create an "axe.mod" directory - which means that all axe modules are missing (indeed, I checked the Lua import under WinXP only)

A lot of stuff within axe.mod looks as if it could be transferred from WinXP to MacOSX (well, probably replacing lua-5.1 by a MacOSX implementation)

Can .bmx files be transferred between platforms?

(BTW: is it really almost nothing but a bunch of "definitions" and "declarations" which makes up the Lua interface of BlitzMax? Wow...)

Byteemoz(Posted 2006) [#9]
First: LUA runs under Linux (I just checked) so it's probably a Mac specific problem.
Second: .bmx - can be transferred and compiled between platforms as long as they don't use any platform specific librarys or function calls (which I think LUA doesn't). But when you copy the folders (axe.mod/lua.mod and axe.mod/luascript.mod) from Windows to MaxOS you have to rebuild the modules as the .a and .i files are platform specific.
And interfaces usually contain very little code. The actual functionality is buried in about 50 files in the axe.mod/lua.mod/lua-5.1/src directory...
-- Byteemoz