Framework Assistant

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Framework Assistant

H&K(Posted 2006) [#1]
After a couple of framework questions a couple of weeks ago someone pointed me in the direction of Jim's Framework assistant
Which, as the saying goes, "does exactly what it says on the Tin"

Suddenly Im actualy using the framework stuff. I dont need to worry about it. (If you read my orignal posts you will know I shied away from framework like the plauge)

So, is there anywhy 1) Brl Could get Jim to let them Put it in the main BMax Download?
2) Make A Bmax specific tools section in the Tools section (here) and so make it a more obvious "find"

I cannot recomend this peice of software enough to anyone who uses Bmax at all for anything. (And would Link to it here, if I had the link stored on this pc)

Edit. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/config/fa/fa.zip (I was a bit stupid there, I have the product, which like has the link at the bottom of the instal guide)

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#2]
If Jim wouldn't mind, then if Framework Assistant could be automatically run when you compile a program so Blitz only puts in the modules it needs without you having to copy and paste "Imports" etc. - it would just be automatic! That would make BlitzMax so much better, and I don't suppose it would require that much additional coding on BRL's part.

What do you say Jim?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#3]
It's not his decision.

Russell(Posted 2006) [#4]
Still, this would be nice to have as a built-in 'optimization' function of the IDE/Compiler.

Russell

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#5]
And still its not possible.

The file format loaders can't be linked dynamically as the compiler can't know what type of formats you load through an external text file that declares the files to load.

How many more times does this have to be explained to beginners? (all pros should have realized that long ago)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#6]
And still its not possible.

Of course it's possible.
Notice the 'IDE' part of 'IDE/Compiler'.
In fact, the CE IDE could add a 'Check Framework' button which simply runs FA against the saved source or the 'untitled' file.

EOF(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks for the kind comments and recomendation H&K.

As mentioned above, going for an automatic framework code is a bit tricky. If for example you are using graphics then you could potentially have several choices if you do not specify what drivers you want to use (OpenGL, DirectX, both ..)

Also, If you have an option to let the user load media then there is now way of knowing which modules will be needed for handling the as yet unknown media type (OGG/WAV/JPG/TGA/BMP).

Thats why I generate a list of 'possible' required modules when the above scenario happens.

What I *could* do is generate a Rem ... EndRem block of code which is inserted into your code letting you edit it to suit your needs. Problem is, you would then need to go through your main code and all imported code manually editing it. Which I guess is no quicker than the current HTML results page method.
Plus I don't want to risk damaging your source.

It would be nice if the community IDE had a tweakable 'User tools' or 'Plugins' menu option so you could simply 'Send to Framework Assistant' and get a report back on what you need to place in your code. I could write a self-contained command line version of FA which accepts a parameter (bmx file to scan).

RiK(Posted 2006) [#8]
The text on your page mentions a Mac version but the download only contains an EXE file! Is there a mac build available somewhere?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#9]
Of course it's possible.
Notice the 'IDE' part of 'IDE/Compiler'.
In fact, the CE IDE could add a 'Check Framework' button which simply runs FA against the saved source or the 'untitled' file.
FA already works very well as a BLIde plugin. I know its Windows only, but still...

[edit] Um... old thread.