BlitzMax and Athlon 64

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax and Athlon 64

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi

Does BlitzMax runs correct on a 64Bit system? On linux and Windows?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
We have a new AMD64 thingie (I assume it's 64Bit) running XP Pro and it works with BMax.

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#3]
yes, runs fine even on dual core.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
If you don't have 64Bit OS, why do you post? 64Bit part is disabled on XP Pro etc

BM has some problems on Linux X64 ... On WinXP X64 ... don't know. There haven't been many that sacrificed driver, speed and compatibility for a "fun test" ... Theoretically it should run
The main problem is that is was built against 32bit modules and with 32bit data types in mind which can cause problems (int long etc are double sized on 64bit compared to 32bit OS)
Especially, using it on X64 has a serious bad point: You can only share it with X64 users. This is, thinking of "enduser market" a share that is even smaller than OSX / Linux already is with 32bit ...

teamonkey(Posted 2006) [#5]
BlitzMax stuff runs fine on my AMD64 running WinXP Pro x64 Edition. They're just treated as 32-bit legacy apps like 99.99% of all the other stuff you can run on it. :)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#6]
Did anyone test bmx with winvista?

Will there be somewhat like bmx64 in the far future?

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#7]
@Grisu: I've tried it and there are some little problems with security changes introduced in windows vista. but nothing important, you just can't build any exe outside your 'my documents folder' you can create a subfolder there called 'projects' or whatever and it works fine. The only thing is that the sample applications that are by default installed in the program files directory can't be built. There are also some bugs using the Aereo interface with OpenGL applications, but those bugs are being fixed for the RC1 release.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#8]
double post

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#9]
There is no problem with Aero Glass + OpenGL. It is just emulated if not in fullscreen ie not adviceable at all.

But in the end: With Aero Glass anything 3D in window is not really adviceable unless you own a 256MB VRAM graphicscard (while 64MB is more than enough if you are in fullscreen!)

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#10]
I know it's emulated. the problem is that i've seen the emulation doesn't perform as good as spected in windowed mode and sometimes the image gets noise (in vista beta 2 with Aereo). It has also some problems with the traditional GUI elements (shadows in menus, sometimes are tratened as windows, and the application gets frozen).

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#11]
The problem is: DX calls get converted to DX calls in windowed. OpenGL become CPU not DX calls so they are worse. OpenGL only has hardware support in fullscreen. (thats due to the fact that the desktop runs in DX, while fullscreen the desktop is disabled, unlike WinXP)

But I don't use Aero Glass anyway ... Aero Basic is enough and especially it is fast enough to be usable :-)

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#12]
I know. I just wanted to mention that the OpenGL emulation needs some improvements. :D All the other new features and security additions are, in my opinion, great improvements, let's see what happens with the RC1 release... :D

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#13]
I would say: you can already be happy that they added OpenGL windowed emulation ... :D
And improvement ... in which direction? If you CPU is too slow it can't do more (and aero glass just is a CPU hogg ... don't know if it is really adviceable for single core systems, but don't think so)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#14]
Thanks Ziggy for the info!

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#15]
Odd. I've had a completely different experience with Vista beta 2 to you guys. I have the nVidia v88 drivers and an Athlon64 (single core) running Vista 32bit. Dreamora is right - Aero is not good at all on a single core system.

But wrt to Max apps, I have UAP disabled so I can compile my programs anywhere, so that's not a problem. Any Max app automatically switches Aero off, so that's not a problem. OpenGL appears to be only slightly slower than in XP, so that's not a problem. DirectX is maybe around 10x slower than in XP, as if it's being emulated. For me, OGL is the ONLY option on Vista!

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#16]
Did you test them in fullscreen?
Because I tested both, BM and B3D and they were normally at least as fast as on XP if not faster ...

Windowed will always be slower especially if you do not switch to Aero Basic (depending on the system this is default but if you have transparency in the window border you know you are in Aero glass).
And that although the drivers definitely need some work on the ATI side to get en par with the highly optimized XP drivers.

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#17]
Ah, no, I did not test fullscreen. Fullscreen is not an option for me...

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#18]
Well, I have tested fullscreen now, despite what I said =] But I see no difference in speed whatsoever!