Vertexbuffer again

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Vertexbuffer again

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi there,

does anyone have a working vertexbuffer-example that works together with default max2d-mode (bufferedd3d7)? I tried the examples I found from the last vertexbuffer discussion last year, but with no success.

Thanks in advance
Jake

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
I do but BRL keep on undoing the changes in the MOD's so I gave up.

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#3]
But isn't there a way to use BMax for "normal sprites" and manage a buffer for particles and such?

That's the way I do it with OpenGL and it works fine. Sprites rendered via DrawImage etc.., particles and static scenery drawn with buffers. It would be wonderful to have this option in DX, too. I should have started with DX :( Once you try OpenGL and see it's beauty and clear structure, it's hard to understand the way DX7 does things.

@Indiepath: would you mind to send me a copy of a mod changed by you? You shared a "vertexbuffer.zip" some time ago, but the link is dead now.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
DX doesn't do it complicated ... BM just does it the OpenGL way which is quite against the way DX does it why it looks that strange ... ok and DX7 was some steps more unstructured than the current DX versions. (hopefully we get a DX9 driver somewhen soon, the DX7 is causing more and more problems with modern drivers and cards.)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#5]
(hopefully we get a DX9 driver somewhen soon, the DX7 is causing more and more problems with modern drivers and cards.)

All due respect, but I don't think it's DirectX7 itself which is to blame here. PTK, for example, uses DX7 and that's going great guns, with a big collection of popular indie and portal games.