@BRL:Syncmods vs. Updates

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/@BRL:Syncmods vs. Updates

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi there,

I see you're fixing bugs asap as they got mentioned. Thats great, really, BUT:

Could you give us some feedback when to get new versions of mods? Sometimes you post "fixed. do a syncmod" in the bugreports-forum, sometimes not. Sometimes, there is a new version of the whole package available, sometimes not.

Ok, I could do a syncmod on a daily schedule, but when I run some code of mine after that and got issues, I have a real hard time to figure out the mighty 3: WHAT, WHERE, WHEN.

Maybe you could track version numbers for each module and post them in a new forum (single threat for each mod). Each time you fix something in a mod, leave a small note in the moduleinfo-part of this mod and increase the version number in the mod and the corresponding threat. So we can have a quick look into that forum, see a (new) behind a module-threat and make a syncmod or not as we see need for it.

Don't get me wrong, I (and I think everyone) appreciate the speed you fix issues, but please make it more transparent for us.

Jake

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#2]
just syncmods once a week and relax dude

popcade(Posted 2006) [#3]
You can look at the module version info for changed modules(you should be able to be aware of it when syncing).

The only little prob is there's no date info included, sometimes causing confusing.

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#4]
Sure, I even can automate this and sync each time my system boots. That's not the problem. But consider you have a running app you finished 2 weeks ago. Now you come back to that code, compile and kaboom, your app is not running fine any more. Some parts of BMax changes quite often and depending on what you code you run into these issues. Two options then:

1.) Start a debugsession OR
2.) Login to the forum and read the module's changelog for the last two weeks, see what got fixed/changed, think about your code, fix the problem.

I prefer option 2. Without any info about what changed and when (either date or version) any syncmod is russian roulette.

Oh, and I am relaxed, really ;)´

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#5]
I agree with Jake.

I've many times looked for info on what has changed/been fixed between releases/syncs.
It would be nice to have a single place to go to to find out.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#6]
Gets my vote.

BlackSp1der(Posted 2006) [#7]
I prefer a "module update history" in the IDE

Synchronize Modules...
(today 09/06/06)

03/06/06 + (BRL.Win32MaxGUI) Fixed MenuText and SetMenuText crashes
07/06/06 + (BRL.D3D7Max2D) Fixed MIPMAPPEDIMAGE flag effect on FILTEREDIMAGE setting

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
I feel this topic is related to my one about using dates in the modules logs, and I agree that things could be clearer for making decisions about updating esp. as fairly often the updates fix something and break something else. Anyway here's the other thread:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=60316