Cower.DevIL Released

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Cower.DevIL Released

N(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is a module that provides a direct interface to the DevIL IL and ILU DLLs.

For information on what DevIL is and can do, visit http://openil.sourceforge.net/

You can download Cower.DevIL and other modules from the modules index on my site (listed as cower.devil.zip)

assari(Posted 2006) [#2]
Thanks Noel for a good piece of work as always.
that was quick

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#3]
Nice job!

Though I hate depending on external dll's... ./

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#4]
heh, nice thats what ogre uses for handling bitmap formats :) including DDS compressed textures
;P

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#5]
Hey I like this. Real shame its not cross platform as I can't use it... SDL was different as the mac is pretty stable with hw acceleration.

N(Posted 2006) [#6]
Not sure where you get the idea that DevIL isn't cross-platform.

Even says on their site:
Portable, supports Windows, Mac OS X and *nix.

And if you're talking about the module not coming with Mac libraries, well too bad. Unless someone either a) donates a Mac or b) I somehow have a change of heart and decide Macs aren't the spawn of satan, Macs will be an entirely DIY situation.

Not providing Linux libraries, on the other hand, is more laziness than anything else. Linux support is a waste of time in my book and does nothing more than let you put down "Linux Support" on a features list. If you need that on a features list, then I'd advise you find some way to make it work with all distributions and kernels builds. I have no intention of going through the painful process of dealing with the stupid amount of variation between Linux systems.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#7]
I won't support linux either. Its an os for business, not games. Mac however, aint going away, in fact its growing stronger and stronger and stronger.

I think you were scarred by having a really shit mac dude. Hey I'm not the biggest mac fan myself but you do reach a lot of users, and its probably simple enough to support... unlike linux.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#8]
Coincidence that a module with the word "devil" in it is released on the 6/6/6 date?

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#9]
Wow I like it. Downloaded it. I have to start to make donations to some of you. Well the truth is that if I am going to really use any of your modules I will donate. Not much ... I am a poor dreamer.
Something else ... offtopic : Are you going to make a FlataLand module?

N(Posted 2006) [#10]
offtopic : Are you going to make a FlataLand module?

No.

I think you were scarred by having a really shit mac dude. Hey I'm not the biggest mac fan myself but you do reach a lot of users, and its probably simple enough to support... unlike linux.

It's not simple enough to support when you don't have a Mac. I don't make even close to enough in donations to purchase one either, so like I said: donate one or donate enough to buy one.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#11]
Looks great, Noel. Many thanks for the work on this, and really fast too!

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#12]
As soon as I add a reference to ilGenImages to my program, I get an error that I am missing jpeg62.dll. I'm not even calling ilGenImages. The mere fact that the command is in a function which is never called is enough to generate the error. I downloaded the full devIL package because I figured the dll it was complaining about would be in there but it's not.

Anyone successfully using this module and figured out how to avoid this or where to get the DLL it complains about?

N(Posted 2006) [#13]
Sorry about that, I've reuploaded the module with the required DLLs.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#14]
Thanks Noel. That did it.