Is there a FreeImage Module?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Is there a FreeImage Module?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I know about a few B3D/BPlus wrappers/decls but I'm not aware of a module for BlitzMax. There's really no sense me writing one if only already exists, but a forum search didn't show anything up so I figured I'd better ask.

N(Posted 2006) [#2]
No, but I'm pondering writing a DevIL module if that would help any.

assari(Posted 2006) [#3]
Noel, it would be cool to have a DevIL module for BlitzMax.

Russell(Posted 2006) [#4]
I thought BMax used FreeImage "in the background" to support some of it's graphics formats, such as .png?

Don't know what DevIL is, but more support is better than none!

Russell

N(Posted 2006) [#5]
Russell: http://openil.sourceforge.net/

That's it. It was previously known as OpenIL (open image library), but the name was changed.

The formats it can load right off the bat are, according to its features page:
.bmp
.cut
.dcx
.dds
.ico
.gif
.jpg
.lbm
.lif
.mdl
.pcd
.pcx
.pic
.png
.pnm
.psd
.psp
.raw
.sgi
.tga
.tif
.wal
.act
.pal
.hdr

And those it can save...
.bmp
.dds
.jpg
.pcx
.png
.pnm
.raw
.sgi
.tga
.tif
.pal
.hdr

However, it is licensed under the LGPL, so you'll have to use a shared library in order to avoid the viral nature of the GPL and its slightly less evil offspring: the LGPL.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
I thought BMax used FreeImage "in the background" to support some of it's graphics formats, such as .png?

Doesn't look like it to me. To me, it looks like they just used a couple of libs that FreeImage uses as well, but either way BMax doesn't implement any of the additional formats I wanted to support.

Noel: A devIL/openIL module would be great. Sure would save time manually converting textures to DDS everytime if I could have my tools export directly to DDS.