Do any BMax GUI's offer this?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Do any BMax GUI's offer this?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've written an app in BMax and MaxGUI, and frankly the interface is practically unusable because of all the workarounds forced upon me by features MaxGUI doesn't have.

Now I already own IGlass, and while it looks pretty, I don't think it offers either of the features I need either. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any alternative GUI's which offer at least :

1) Listboxes with multiple selections.
2) File selectors with multiple selections.

errno!(Posted 2006) [#2]
None that I've used, I suggest writing your own gui.
I'll be doing the same as I'm in the same boat as you.

N(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm writing my own, however it's still very early on. I do plan on having those features accessible, however it's going to be Win32 only as I do not feel that supporting Linux is necessary, and if the need arises I can write a new GUI driver for Mac users.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#4]
Why aren't these features in MaxGUI?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#5]
Why aren't these features in MaxGUI?

Excellent question, and I wish I knew. I was initially quite impressed with MaxGUI, but I've come to realise that's it's missing a lot of stuff, and judging from the forums a lot of other people have a lot of other requests that probably seem very basic to them too.

Shinji & Noel: Yes, writing my own does seem like the best plan, but I've written two in the past couple of months, and I'll be writing a third soon ( a big, complex one, sadly ) so I'm not sure I can justify writing a fourth for a pretty small app. I guess that's what you get for writing games and apps and using different languages and different engines.. lots more work.

N(Posted 2006) [#6]
Because MaxGUI is a wrapper of the original BlitzPlus code which is only good for quick applications that don't require useful features?

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#7]
keep in mind that BlitMax and MaxGUI are very good for what they were intended to be.

MaxGUI will never be as feature-rich or robust as something like Visual Studio or even QT but it gets the job done in BlitzMax.

Blitz products are primarily graphics intensive game programming languages. blitzbasic, blitz basic 2, blitz3d, b+ and now Bmax.

99% of users will use maxgui to create front-ends, editors etc for games.

for those who need super-powered GUI's, there are alot of excellent choices for them.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#8]

In that case - judging by the number of threads asking for things that MaxGUI doesn't have - it must not be good enough for those purposes either.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#9]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53498#597745

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#10]
Yep, I am aware of your solution, thanks, Perturbatio. I think I may have mentioned it when I posted about it recently in the beginners forum. And if BRL want to make it official, that'd be good enough, but I'm not tying mself down to unofficial module tweaks for any important programs, because it gives me too much to do everytime a syncmods wipes them out and I have to go back and remake all the changes.

If it was just one or two things.. but if I start using tweaks, I'd end up with quite a lot, because there are a lot of things which really need tweaking.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#11]

MaxGui does not support full screen so I doubt that you will get anywhere near that percentage for game front ends. People will probably use it for editors.

On another note, I spent most of the day replacing IGlass with custom code. Fun stuff... #$%^