D3D7Max2DDriver() slow after latest syncmods

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/D3D7Max2DDriver() slow after latest syncmods

GfK(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello.

I did syncmods on my laptop last night and tested my game. In DirectX it has dropped from 30fps (which its limited to) to 15fps.

Just done the same thing on desktop PC, I've lost 9fps on that! It now can't manage better than 21fps where, again, it used to run at 30fps.

Anybody else confirm similar behaviour?

SPECS
Laptop - P3 1.1GHz, 256Mb RAM, Trident Cyberblade 16mb onboard graphics, WinXP SP2
Desktop - Athlon XP3000+ @ 2.16GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9600 128mb, WinXP SP2.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think I'll hold back on the syncmods then until this gets resolved.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
It could be the official lag fix. You aren't calling one yourself as well are you now? Because that would mean it's called twice...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#4]
[Homestar]Oops, You bwoke it.[/homestar]

GfK(Posted 2006) [#5]
It could be the official lag fix. You aren't calling one yourself as well are you now? Because that would mean it's called twice...
I was but I've already taken that out after seeing that the lag thing was fixed 'officially'.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
could it be the vsync thing in windowed mode with Flip 1?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#7]
I've tried Flip <everything> and nothing made any difference. Its still significantly slower than it was yesterday. Full screen makes a difference of 4-5fps, but even that's slower than it was.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#8]
Does the Tempest game in samples perform nicely?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#9]
I'll test my framework with before and after figures in a minute.

Also, sorry to state the obvious, but is debug off? Also did you add any more code at all, or do any tiny tweaks since yesterday?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hmm, well I haven't even done the sync mods yet but DirectX runs at 850FPS full-screen and 700FPS windowed whereas OpenGL runs at 1500 and 1300. So OpenGL on my P4 3.2GHz, 1GB, Radeon 9800XT PC is around twice as fast. I'm sure when I tested a while ago DirectX was a big faster, but I have added more stuff since then. Anyway, I should mention that the test was with Flip 0 AND with the most recent Lag Fix implemented manually (not officially). OK just tested with Lag Fix off and DX is giving 1700 in full-screen, so faster than OpenGL. The fix sure is a killer of FPS but a necessary evil imho.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#11]
More Info: Done a syncmods. I'm still calling my old lag fix and all the FPS are around 30fps less, which is nothing really. I tried with my lag fix off and it goes up about 30fps which figures really. So I would say that SyncMods has NOT made my game slower in DirectX mode...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#12]
Is this the lag caused by DX Render Ahead, which always caused a *speed increase*? Disabling it means you'd lose that same increase, meaning DX was probrably slower normally than OGL anyhow.

Consider than Max was designed for OGL and DX was a later addon, this isn't all that unexpected. Bit of a shame, but not unexpected.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#13]
I don't seem to have any lag or loss in framerate. Geforce 6800.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#14]
Mine goes laggy after a few minutes sometimes :-(

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#15]
Perhaps the lag fix could be made optional with a flag for Graphics (the "lag flag" <g>)? Thus, if needed, it'd be there (the default?), but if lag isn't a problem, then it could be turned off for higher FPS.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#16]
In DirectX it has dropped from 30fps (which its limited to) to 15fps.

Is this the lag caused by DX Render Ahead, which always caused a *speed increase*? Disabling it means you'd lose that same increase, meaning DX was probrably slower normally than OGL anyhow.
No. The driver only buffers ahead if your program is allowed to go faster than your logic, or the hz... His program is running at 30.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
I say it's best to leave the lag fix in as without it lags occur even when not much is going on.