New Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework V0.99!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework V0.99!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi. Yes, the latest and biggest update of my game framework is out! Read all about it here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=60280

Hope you don't mind me posting about it here, but it is BMax Programming related and the last time I posted here many people found it useful and said they would have missed it in the Showcase alone.

Some screenies :-)

popcade(Posted 2006) [#2]
Mark have fixed the vertical tearing in official mods, I actually noticed the CPU was eat up at 100%, but most of windowed games does, shouldn't be major issue tho.

The screenies look pretty nice ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah Mark and Skidracer have fixed a couple of things that I made workarounds/fixes for. If I hadn't made this framework, they might not have got fixed so soon :-)

You've just reminded me that I should do a Syncmods and checkout all the changes and that nothing breaks my framework.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#4]
The compiled executable is basically identical, no comflict found yet, hower I think it's safe to comment those fixed tweak out (but DX7Lag seems not officially adepted yet, still commented out).

Many new cool stuff added, it's pretty fun to play through it.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#5]
I'm wondering if ther'll be any conflicts between a current syncmoded Max and the framework?

If I'm not mistaken the lag fix was introduced in the latest syncmod along with a host of other bug fixes.

How will this affect us Grey?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#6]
Where does it say the lag fix was introduced?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#7]
yoxola: When I've checked the Syncmods fixes stuff is fine, I'll comment my old fixes out and insist on a fresh SyncMods for everyone. Glad you enjoy the new stuff :-)

Amon: I don't think a lag fix has been implemented, but I haven't checked. Will do later. Meanwhile two things I made fixes for have been sorted by BRL:

- VSync in windowed mode (only with Flip 1 though, my solution worked for Flip -1 as well). However, you had to modify and rebuild two modules for mine to work, so you are better off using theirs. Hmm I might actually need to tweak this as VSync on mine is using Flip -1 ...
- Mouse cursor now shows on title bar in windowed mode. Well my workaround won't conflict with this. I'll just remove it once I've checked it.

I'll probably release a small patch later today/tomorrow when I see what the fixes do. They are making a lot of fixes right now so I don't know if any other ones cause problems but I'll check it out don't worry. It's on my TO DO list :-)

popcade(Posted 2006) [#8]
The lines about official fix DX7Lag are still commented, maybe I have to make a fresh install and try to sync again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#9]
No I don't think they've put it in yet. I've reposted it in the bug forum.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#10]
Is it really necessary to mirror the showcase post in two places?

Amon(Posted 2006) [#11]
Sorry! Lag fix hasn't been implemented. It's still commented out. Sorry for confusing everyone.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
Is it really necessary to mirror the showcase post in two places?
I'm sorry you feel that way, but like I said not everyone checks out the showcase and last time I posted here (over 2 weeks ago) different people saw it and were grateful.

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ok, here comes maybe a stupid question.
-Is it possible to use the framework with 3D engines like Gabriels mod for TV3D ??

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
In theory, yes. For example I plugged in sswifts sprite engine no problems (this was 2D). However, I can't say for sure as I don't have any of 3D engines. You should be able to use my framework as a whole structure for you game, and initilise the 3D engine when you need to. All the movement can still be controlled by my fixed rate logic and by making calls to the 3D engine. Plus all the draw commands can go into one place. There shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't work if the engine just facilitates the use of 3D and doesn't force you to use it's own timing function or screens etc (however, even this can be worked around).

popcade(Posted 2006) [#15]
Well, Grey contributed some key fixes to the modules that he can keep as secret, but he made them freely available, the framework itself is Gery's own skill/work, those actually helped customers.

As we all want to make BMax better, anything that's positive will help, and make BMax more stable/powerful.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#16]
Well, Grey contributed some key fixes to the modules that he can keep as secret, but he made them freely available, the framework itself is Gery's own skill/work, those actually helped customers.
Care to share the links to these key fixes that Grey came up with himself? Giving Grey all the credit for the fixes in his framework is something that even he wouldn't do. The amount of misinformation surrounding this framework is amazing.

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#17]
Grey: Check your mail :)

Smurftra(Posted 2006) [#18]
I've told Grey but i guess i'll say it here so ppl know about this: I really appreciate his framework and how its designed. He's also very quick and informative when replying to e-mails.

He's got my praise.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#19]
Care to share the links to these key fixes that Grey came up with himself? Giving Grey all the credit for the fixes in his framework is something that even he wouldn't do. The amount of misinformation surrounding this framework is amazing.

I agree, get your facts right yoxola. Grey would not claim credit for the fixes a lot of the community, including myself, helped with. Grey has packaged everything nicely for you to save you time when creating games, period. All of the fixes are available on this forum, you just need to know where to look.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#20]
Alienforce: Thanks, check *your* email :-)
Smurftra: Thanks for that, it's always nice to hear.

Re: fixes etc. Well the fixes/workarounds are really just a tiny part of the framework. The main part is the whole TGame object and associated types that does all the various things like timing, screens, logic, drawing, animation, sprites etc. There's just tons of stuff, plus it helps people learn a good game structure and OOP etc. And yes, many people contributed to getting the fixes (incuding me!). Some were already in place and just had to be found and implemented properly, others needed discussion before the final workaround was ready (e.g the lag fix). Other fixes were incomplete or needed to be fixed themselves! So some have my own code/solutions. In fact, there really aren't that many. The point is finding them all and packaging them together along with other stuff that i designed like minimise and pause, mouse cursor sliding out the window smoothly, dynamic full-screen/windowed mode change etc was just a pain and a bore, but now people can get it for £25.90, which isn't bad at all imho.

All of the fixes are available on this forum
As I've explained above, that's not strictly true as there are some original things (workarounds/solutions) in there (you wouldn't know this unless you bought it or read the entire feature list). However, if people post on the forum asking something, I'll gladly help them out.

Anyway, the funny thing is that yesterday I re-posted 4 bugs that I have workarounds for in the framework, and they've all been fixed by BRL since :-) So they are now obsolete in my framework. But if I didn't post them, who else would've and when?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#21]
I'm tired of this constant harping about what grey did... buy it or don't, just stop moaning

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#22]
I'm very impressed with this! Such a small amount of code for that pretty complete game including level select etc. Really nice!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#23]
One Eyed Jack: Yeah thanks, I can't figure out the moaner's motivations. Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway. People still keep buying it and I keep improving it, so all is well.

Cyg: Thanks. Yeah the game code is 2400 lines, but it calls on 4500 worth of library code. Did you like my zooming/scrolling level select screen and the other effects I've put in? The options page with shadow looks pretty cool imho.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#24]
Mate, I'm not kidding, I was gobsmacked :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#25]
That's OOP reuseability for you ;-)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#26]
And just to think, some people think something like this framework isn't much work.

Of course it is.

4,500 lines on the old BBC computers would flood it's memory!!!

Anyway,

OOP? *chokes* Actually, I'm really getting to like it, I just dont like how it has to be laid out now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#27]
My log shows 195 hours so far but in reality it's probably more. A certain amount of that time is documentation, releases and marketing though.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#28]
I've fully tested it with the latest Sync Mods and tweaked the code to remove obsolete fixes now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#29]
Just added a working in-game menu:

Next up, full player profile management system. This is worth $49 alone!

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#30]
Great work Grey!
Looking forward to the update.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#31]
Hey dude. Where's the Mac/Linux versions. That would make it extremely usefull instead of just very usefull IMHO :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#32]
ozak: well, it will compile and use OpenGL on Mac and Linux. It's just that a few of the Windows tweaks I've made won't do anything in those OSes. All the rest of the code, my special types, common code etc will still be very useful to developers on those platforms. I'm happy to sell it someone on those platforms but I can't offer platform-specific support for Mac/Linux although of course I'll support the general framework which is non-platform specific.

After my next game is publisher (July), I think the producer wants me to do a Mac version, so I'll get him to buy me a minimac and then I'll fully test and tweak the framework on it.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#33]
Cool :)

Why0Why(Posted 2006) [#34]
I would be interested in seeing a Mac version too. It just makes sense to publish cross platform if you have already done all that work!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#35]
well I'm glad there's a demand. I just can't do anything about it until I get a Mac, which costs money I can't invest right now :-) but soon ...