Running GUI checks alongside regular code

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Running GUI checks alongside regular code

thalamus(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm converting a Blitz+ project over to Max, and I'm experiencing a few problems.

In my B+ project, my loop consisted of a series of Event checks, followed by canvas clearing, then my own routines (update graphics, keychecks, etc), followed by canvas flipping.

This doesn't seem to work in Max; the Event checks are processed fine, but the bits and pieces at the bottom of the code loop don't seem to work.

Are there known problems running my own KeyDown checks after Event checks?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#2]
You will need to post code.

thalamus(Posted 2006) [#3]
A cut-down version...

Repeat

WaitEvent()

Select EventID()

'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MENUS

Case EVENT_MENUACTION
		Select EventData()

Case 6		 load()

End Select

'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- TOOLBAR

Case EVENT_GADGETACTION

If EventSource()=toolbar

Select EventData()

Case 0	Print "test"

End Select

EndIf

End Select

'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CODE LOOP

SetGraphics CanvasGraphics(canvas)
	Cls

control()
	update_map()

Flip

If KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)

End

EndIf

Until EventID () = EVENT_WINDOWCLOSE

control() is merely a series of KeyDown checks, and UpdateMap just draws a tilemap.

thalamus(Posted 2006) [#4]
Ah. I get the impression that KeyDown and KeyHit won't work properly in GUI mode... :/

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#5]
^ Correct.

From Help's "Polled input" section, which includes KeyDown and KeyHit:

The functions in this module are only available when your program is running in Graphics mode. When working on GUI applications, you will need to use events.

I never used BlitzPlus, but since you're already doing event handling, it shouldn't be too bad to add in key handling when converting to Max. Some of the potentially useful EventIDs from Help's "Event objects" section:

EVENT_KEYDOWN - Key pressed. Event data contains keycode
EVENT_KEYUP - Key released. Event data contains keycode
EVENT_HOTKEYHIT - Hot key hit. Event data and mods contains hotkey keycode and modifier