woah big shrink of bug forums!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/woah big shrink of bug forums!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
Yep the bug forum has totally shrunk to about 5 posts! They've all gone. Is this a mistake or have they all been moved to the bug bin?

Amon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Can't post in it either. I think the plan is for people to post elsewhere when something doesn't work, then when a bug is confirmed it's moved to the bug forum.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
Oh I see, this is news to me, but let's see how it works out.

well create topic and the post dialogs are still there...

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
I can post/reply in Bug Reports.

Is this a mistake or have they all been moved to the bug bin?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=59988 <<point 6

I think its always been the case that, if you find some sort of odd behaviour in Blitz, you would only post in Bug Reports when you're absolutely sure its a bug. Usually this involves repeated testing, creating of source code that demonstrates the problem, and checking with other people for confirmation.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#5]
well create topic and the post dialogs are still there...

Can't see them here. I'll try a browser refresh/restart.

[edit] Refresh fixed it.

marksibly(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hi,

Bug reports was getting way out of hand, so I've moved everything over a week old into the bug bin. Feel free to repost anything there.

We will be trying (again) to keep bug reports under a page long, but in order to do so we will be much more aggressive about culling noise and non-bugs etc, so please don't be offended if a bug report gets magically moved elsewhere.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#7]
Looks like a number of feature request type threads have been moved to this programming forum

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
Feature/requests shouldn't be in bugs anyway.

There are some bugs I posted that are reproducable that haven't been dealt with, unless I'm mistaken e.g.

- StopChannel bug. (It can reused with AllocChannel even though the channel hasn't been freed).
- No mouse cursor on title bar when HideMouse is used!
- DrawText won't draw at floating point coords. Skidracer posted a module tweak but hasn't stated if this will be "standard" now.
- There is still sound latency in win 98.
- There is still vertical tearing in Windowed Mode with Flip -1 or 1. A module tweak is possible, but shouldn't this be standard too?
- OpenGL still clips the top of the client area when a window is made (using Graphcs) the same size as the screen res.
- GraphicDepth (and Hertz) returns 0 under Direct X. A simple module tweak can be made to fix this. Shouldn't it be standard?

These are just mine, there must be plenty of others... I just wonder what the plan is for those? Perhaps I should repost...[edit]aha, thanks Mark, so we should repost then.

Please Note: This list is in no way meant to diminish the sterling efforts that have already gone into bug squishing.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#9]
StopChannel is FreeChannel, I don't like the idea of changing that as it will probably impact on the distributed samples.

Mouse cursor - if you can find and bump that thread in the Bug Bin I'll move it back to reports

Sound latency on Win98 is something I think people will have to live with for now. I imagine FMod is using DirectSound if it has better performance and I would like to do same for FreeAudio but not a priority.

Best fix for tearing would be a dx9 max2d driver, will have another rethink on that when I look back into the subpixel drawtext mod.

OpenGL- has to be a bug in MS GL implementation from what I could work out.

GraphicDepth for DX - please repost!

GfK(Posted 2006) [#10]
Would it not be better to keep the bug reports forum short by fixing bugs instead of deleting everything thats in there??

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#11]
We're trying to turn over a new leaf so they were MOVED not deleted. A manual sorting of what and wasn't valid bugs would have taken at least 20 hours of clicking when we could be fixing...

GfK(Posted 2006) [#12]
i see.

Not having a go... just seemed a bit odd to shovel everything out of the bug reports forum then invite people to put it all back if they thought it was a genuine bug (which is how most of it got there in the first place).

sswift(Posted 2006) [#13]
Was that render lag issue ever fixed, or do we still need to use that hotfix?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
Skidracer, thanks for the replies. I'll do some reposting...

sswift: uh, no it wasn't. I forgot about that one. Just make a little function to do the most recent fix (don't have code handy, I'm on the laptop) and call it straight after Flip. It doesn't need a module tweak however, it would be nice if it was build into the DX module.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#15]
The render lage I thought I was having wasn't the render lag I was having, so it required a completely different approach. It has to do with images not being buffered in video ram when loaded.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#16]
OK, but the original DirecX render lag still exists.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#17]
I don't get it: THIS is the programming forum and NOT the bug forum, so we have the same discussion here as we would have there. Just that people get confused where to look for their reports.

Reposting all bugs again will lead into the same issues as before, just with a delay of some days.

Also I don't spend hours using the slow forum search function, just to repost issues that I have reported already.

Examples:
- Tons of bugs with the textareafield
- OK Button not reacting to the ENTER key
- Flickering listboxes
- Out of sync error for canvas (Flip 0 issue)

Please change the bug forum as this is no solution of the problem at all! It doesn't help you nor does it help the user base.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#18]
luckily I had two hours to kill this morning whilst babysitting so was able to search and post mine.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#19]
... me too. After initially posting a bug I responded to a request from Skidracer that we actually debug, find the failing code and suggest a solution ourselves. In one example, this took quite a while as it's not my code so I have to find out what it does first. I then got slated as the suggested fix wasn't quite right. I re-posted a better fix but bever got a response.
I'm now told it's been 'moved' and I should re-post.
Quite frustrating really.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#20]
@Grisu,

I agree that the solution path that blitz seems to have started on seems at first to be a pointless excesice.

But my understanding is that the bug hunting policy has changed and there is going to be a definite attempt to resovle bugs quicker, (I would say that One week seems to be the target)

So althogh the moving of the bugs posts doesnt in itself solve anything, it seems to be more of a "State of Mind" thing

(Maybe they have employed someone new, and they are pretending to them that all bugs in the past have been resolved within a week)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#21]
It just helps them focus having a smaller list and one without "noise". Then they expect people to bring up issues that are still outstanding and they'll have a renewed focus on fixing them I believe.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#22]
Stop panicing.

Reposting all bugs again will lead into the same issues as before, just with a delay of some days.
No it won't, because this time "we will be much more aggressive about culling noise and non-bugs etc" - Mark Sibly

Also I don't spend hours using the slow forum search function
See? That just goes to show how long it's been since you actually used the forums search function.

It doesn't help you nor does it help the user base.
Well this user disagrees. Personally this user would much prefer it if bugs were fixed swiftly, rather than drowning in pointless banter.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#23]
The forum search was only speeded up for single words though wasn't it?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#24]
@Flamduck:
I nearly use the search function DAILY. As I nearly check this site DAILY.

The simple search:
Is fast but useless for me.

The advanced search:
Takes ages. And you can't even select certain forums which would be awesome and would speed things up.

The user search:
Is a wonderful too, but it doesn't work.

Search user: "Grisu" => "ERROR:No search terms entered!"

Don't get me wrong:
I would love to see bugs getting fixed sooner. Not like my bug report on the "mouse over titlebar issue" e.g. which I made 4 MONTHS ago and dozens of users reported this issue over and over later on and NOTHING happened.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#25]
Grisu: It seems that me reraising that one has got it fixed :-)

simonh(Posted 2006) [#26]
And you can't even select certain forums which would be awesome and would speed things up.

To do this you have to select the individual forum's 'Search' link.

The user search:
Is a wonderful too, but it doesn't work.

You have to enter a search term and a nickname, for example 'bug' and 'Grisu' (which, incidentally returns 117 results in 1.8 seconds here).

If you want to see all your posts, view your profile then click 'Forum posts'.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#27]
Thanks Simon for these informations.

Could someone add a text for the subforum search functions

So one knows which forum one is currently searching:
Search Forum "BlitzMax"
Search Forum "Blitz3D"
Search Forum "BlitzPlus"
Search Forum "Miscellaneous"

If I only give a Usernick, the search function should do a search for that user and search for an empty term.
Giving the Error message "ERROR:No search terms entered!"
is a bit vague. At least I didn't get the meaning. :)

simonh(Posted 2006) [#28]
Could someone add a text for the subforum search functions

Good idea...

If I only give a Usernick, the search function should do a search for that user and search for an empty term.

How do you search for an empty term? If you mean return all results, then yes I guess it's possible, but there is already a way to do that.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#29]
Just return all the posts for that user in that forum.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#30]
You can use the same function that you use to display a user's forum posts.

If len(Searchterm)=0 and len(username)> 0 then do_usernamesearch(useraccount)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#31]
plus, something like, where forum=105