Error running program after updating to V1.2

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Error running program after updating to V1.2

3Ddoofus(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,
I've updated to version 1.2 but now when I run the program I've been working on I get the following error message.

Linking:AddisonCDProg.debug.exe
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/filesystem.mod/filesystem.debug.win32.x86.a(filesystem.bmx.debug.win32.x86.o.b)(code+0xe70): undefined reference to `chmod_'
Build Error: Failed to link D:/HandbookCD/AddisonCDProg.debug.exe

Anybody any idea why this is happening.
No changes have been made to the program since moving to version 1.2, just loaded it and ran it.
Thanks,
3D

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
You done a syncmods?

Got quickbuild on?

3Ddoofus(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yep, done a synch mods.
Got all three build options ticked.

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#4]
I've got that error as well?!?!?!?

It's only happened since I SyncMod'd this morning to download the updates to freeaudio and stdc (if I remember correctly).

I'm rebuilding all modules as we speak - I'll let you know how I get on but at the moment I can't compile anything. :(

EDIT: Mark recently fixed this bug for the SetFileMode option in Windows. It seems to have broken the whole module.

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#5]
After rebuilding all modules, it seems to be working again. :P

3Ddoofus(Posted 2006) [#6]
Ok, i'll give it a try, thanks.

3Ddoofus(Posted 2006) [#7]
Err, at the risk of looking stupid how do I rebuild the mods, the option is greyed out on the menu.

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#8]
I think you might have to download MinGW and set the environment varibales. Have a look here. There are loads of other posts that describe how to get it working so have a look around.

NOTE: Mark had a post that described how to do it but everytime I try to access it I get an "ERROR: Internal Error" message. :|

3Ddoofus(Posted 2006) [#9]
Ok thanks, i'll do some digging.

3Ddoofus(Posted 2006) [#10]
Right, I've been to the mingw.org website. What files do I need to download, there seems to be an awful lot of them!

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't updated to 1.2 if it's gonna cause this much trouble!!

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#11]

NOTE: Mark had a post that described how to do it but everytime I try to access it I get an "ERROR: Internal Error" message. :|

Ah, that MinGW post from Mark was in the updates section which was removed recently.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
I got this error this morning too. Luckily I have already done the MinGW stuff so I did a rebuild and it was all fine, took about a minute.

Actually it's just reminded me that I ought to put an link to the MinGW post ... wait someone is saying it no longer exists ... yup it's gone, great! Well luckily I done it, but how do I explain this to new users? Where is the download link and what do you have to do once it's installed (i.e. any file copying?) I know how to do the paths bit as that's in the link above.

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#13]
link here
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download

Double click to install. Add C:\MinGW\bin to your path variable (replace "C:\MinGW" with the directory where you installed MinGW) and create a MinGW enviroment variable.

On my system, (WinXP Pro) I did this by entering the System Properties dialog (press left-windows key/Pause-Break). Click on the Advance tab. Click on the Enviroment Variables button. In the System Variables window, scroll down and select the one labeled path and click edit. Go to the end of the line labeled Variable value and add ;C:\MingW\bin. Click OK. Click on New button. Under Variable name, put MinGW. Under value put C:\MinGW. Now you're done.

ETA: Version 3.1.0 is considered the latest "safe" version of MinGW to use with BlitzMAX. However, I heard that a later version would be ok as long as you don't need to recompile the MaxGUI modules.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
thanks for the link. I'll add it to my FAQ.

3Ddoofus(Posted 2006) [#15]
Thanks, TomToad.
Been a little busy since yesterday morning so not had chance to follow this up.
I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.
Cheers,
3D

3Ddoofus(Posted 2006) [#16]
Installed MinGW and followed TomToad's instructions.
Rebuild is now active and worked a treat. My program works just like before, brill!
Thanks to everyone for their input and particularly TomToad for the concise and specific instructions which got me back up and running.
3D