Blide Beta testers

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blide Beta testers

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi, i've got a new version of BLIde that has introduced several important changes over version 0.6.3 I'm looking for some beta testers to test the new features and functionality.

For newcomers, BLIde is a freeware IDE (integrated development invironment) for BlitzMax. for more information http://www.blide.org

This is, more or less, the changelog for the next version that needs beta-testing:

Changelog:

FIXED: Open brackets indicator now ignore comments

FIXED: Open brackets indicator now understand multi-line declarations

FIXED: Console lag caused by threads priority

FIXED: .bak files generation now works as spected in the preferences dialog

FIXED: There was a scope bug with intelisense (thanks Tiger)

IMPROVED: Autolist generation (a little bit faster)

NEW FEATURE: Bug-line is now hilighted in a semi-transparent way, so it's compatible with any color scheme

NEW FEATURE: First 100% working PlugIn engine (SDK is in alpha state, but will be released soon, as it's very stable)

FIXED: Console was switching black/white when it received data

NEW FEATURE: Build as BLIde PlugIn now generates native BLIde PlugIns. You will have to wait for the release of the SDK to use this option properly.

NEW: There are some very little and stupid PlugIns included. those PlugIns are there just for testing. Try them out.

FIXED: AutoList Shortcuts assignation window, now conforms BLIde standards

FIXED: F1 now treats selected text as spected

NEW FEATURE: Intelisense now handles the 'self' keyword, depending on scope

NEW INTELISENSE SYSTEM: The new intelisense system handles all data-type tracking for types with fields and functions returning types. This is due a new self-recursive implementation of the intelisense system. I've been working on this for months and, finaly, it's out! :D BLIde has now a super precise intelisense algorithm, and it provides much more information, allowing complex inheritance tracking

NEW Reorganization of the pannels to make BLIde look less bloated

NEW FEATURE: The local shortcuts are automaticaly updated. You don't need to 'Refresh local shortcuts' any more.

NEW FEATURE: Audio preview (This new feature works as a front-end of a BlitzMax audio player, sources of his player are included to let you add any sound format handled by your BlitzMax installation)

FIXED: There was a bug in the Self-Defined keywords recognition algorithm, that was disabling self-defined keywords hilighting. this bug was really not happening usualy, but has been fixed.

NEW FEATURE: When declaring a new function, type, etc, and it generates a new keyword, the keyword is hilighted in the declaration code line.

FIXED: There were some missing keywords in the 'learning module's keywords' algorithm

NEW FEATURE: Level 2 start-up caché, ultra fast load when the caché is created. (4 secs on my laptop, with official modules and Irrbmax)

FIXED: The ; character was not treated properly by the KeyWord processor, now it has been fixed

NEW FEATURE: The Find and Feplace dialog, now resets its contents when the window is closed and reopened

NEW FEATURE: The find and replace dialog, now assumes ENTER key press, as a FIND button click

NEW UTILITY: BLIde Recovery Utility. This is a little application that 'resets' all BLIde configuration, and leaves BLIde in the state it was when it was used for first time

NEW FEATURE: Automatic module builder. If you're coding a module, BLIde will detect it, and will build the module, instead of generating a EXE. To activate module building, just place your code in the apropiate folder, and Build your program. You'll get the module compiled

NEW FEATURE: Project-oriented building.
Now BLIde has improved from application oriented development to Project oriented development. This means that BLIde now can generate several executables and modules from the the current opened project. This big change has introduced several changes in the way BLIde handles things. Here you have the most important changes:
-Additional files are now named 'Additional media files'
-All the references to 'Application' have been changed to 'Project'
-The New application dialog has been rewritten, and now it's named 'New Project wizard'
-There's a new dialog called 'Project Manager' that let's you decide the build order of the entire project, and add or remove programs to the project.
-bmx files can't be opened as projects. Only BLIde files are considered projects. Anyway, you can open and create single bmx files, edit them and compile them, in the same way you would do in the official IDE.
-BLIde files and bmx files doesn't need to have the same name any more, and they can be stored in separate folders

If you're interested in testing this new version, please email me at supermanel*at*menta*dot*net

H&K(Posted 2006) [#2]
Can you change it so that the color highlighter and Keyword reconiser (sic) only work with commands in the selected framework?

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#3]
yeah I'll second that it should only highlight commands from framework and import

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#4]
To do so, I would need BLIde to understand wich modules import each module, and make recursive searching... it can be very very very slow. I'm thinking on a way to improve this, but I'm sure it won't be as automatic as this. Anyway, this is for a future release.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well Make it manual.

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#6]
Oh i would love to beta test this, sent you email.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#7]
GIMMMEEE!!!!! I love your BLIDE Manel!!! Please sign me up! I sent you an email!!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#8]
What about the Blitz font problem?

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#9]
In my official BlitzMax IDE, the default font is Courier with a size of 10, you can use this font in BLIde also. If there's another blitzmax specific font, i don't have it. Is there? what's its name?

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#10]
hey Ziggie, good job :) Both Cygnus and I use BlIDE all the time :)

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#11]
the fonts in one of the brl modules, i believe it is the max2d module. It's called "blitz.fon".

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#12]
@khomy: That's the default max2d font, but it's not the font of the BlitzMax IDE.

@Evak: Thanks :D

H&K(Posted 2006) [#13]
I dont know if this is where to post these, (And they are for 6.2 anyway)

If you do a clean instal of Blide, but tell it to open the last file/project on startup, when you start it up, there is no last file/project, so it crashes.

When in any of the dark screen color prefs, the Stupid Hightlight line on error dosnt allow you to see whats on the line, (Cos it Highlights it in a very light colour, and my text is white and yellow), yet there is no option I can find to change it.

Other than the Capitol X problem (which is not your fault, but bugs me no end), Blide is a Good editor.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#14]
If it wouldn't need the MS Framework, this would be a nice app.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#15]
@H&K: this 2 bugs are fixed in version 0.7.0 beta (this version will be delivered to betatesters today)

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#16]
Grisu: So you don't have WinXP SP2 installed? (it has .NET 1.1 with it. All future MS apps will need either 1.1 or even 2.0 so better get used to have it ... there is no reason not to have it beside better switching to Linux because of dislike modern approaches ;-) )

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#17]
Hi to everybody. The beta is out, all betatesters, please, check your emails. If you don't get the email, please let me know it.

Best,

Winni(Posted 2006) [#18]
Hi Ziggy,

From what I can see on your website the IDE really does look great.

The only problem that I have with it is that it is Win-only - I use Mac OS X as my primary platform.

From my last experiments with Mono I came to believe that it still is not there yet for providing a true multi-platform .NET environment. Or do you think there is a chance that you might port it to Mono? :)

Keep up the good work!
W.

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#19]
WOW!
This is incredible great stuff!
Can't wait...

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#20]
Hi,

I have .net 2.0 runtimes and I cannot install blide. It tells me I do not have net 1.1

How can I force it to install? I cannot find net 1.1 online, only net 2.0.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#21]
.net 2.0 is not compatible with 1.1 as they are different frameworks. .net 1.1 is a part of winxp sp 2, anyway, you can download it from the BLIde website, in the download section, you'll find a direct link to the official microsoft .net 1.1 download page in english.
I've decided to mantain .net 1.1 becouse the framework is only 23 Mbytes (besides the 500mbytes of .net 2.0)

GfK(Posted 2006) [#22]
besides the 500mbytes of .net 2.0
Eh? net2.0 is nowhere near that big! Redistro is 22.4mb - I just checked. you don't need the SDK.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#23]
sorry, 500 is the dsk, that's true... Maybe i'll megrate BLIde to .net 2.0, but this will make me change some of the controls BLIde use, and it's not an easy task, so, by now, it will run under the 1.1

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#24]
Ok I uninstalled .net 2.0 and Installed net 1.1

During setup, I encountered another bug. In the setup wizard it asks if I want to start blide with my last used application. I think this is a good idea so I check the radio button for yes...

Then I click continue and... BOOM!

Loading Project
--------------------

An unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue....blah blah

"Argument 'Source' is nothing or empty."

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#25]
Another bug. I open application and...

ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'
ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'
ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'ÿþ'

My source is all corrupted???

EDIT:

This happens if you load any source code with

'════════════════════════════════

I use this in the blitz ide fine. I use it because it is
a nice line to break code up with.

Please fix blide so it does not create corrupted files when
it loads those characters in. I use courier new 10.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#26]
@One eyed jack, please for all bugs regarding the beta, send me an email, as I'm not always seeing the forum.
You didn't need to uninstall .net 2.0, but anyway. it's the first time I hear this very strange bug. The bug you mentioned (the bug in the config wizard) was found in version 0.7.0 beta. You need to download and install the 0.7.0b fix up beta, as it has been solved. your source code is not corrupted, don't save, download the 0.7.0b beta version, execute the BLIde Recover utility, and restart BLIde. Let me know if that fixes the problem.

[EDIT] I can't reproduce your bug, I've copied and pasted this line of code and everything loads and saves as spected, I've created a new bmx file from the official IDE, created some regular code, added this line in several places, saved the bmx file, opened on BLIde, and everything was working as spected. Any idea?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#27]
Ok I will do... here is a link to the file anyway :)
It shows perfect in Blitzmax ide using courier new, but it is corrupted in Blide.

Here is the link: www.redflame.net/files/test.bmx

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#28]
Ok! There's no corruption. you're using Unicode (big endian) characters, ok. BLIde is waiting for ANSI characters or unicode (little endian), I'll arrange this to let BLIde read the txt file tag at the begining of a loaded file. Are you editing this files on a mac?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#29]
Nope, editing on a pc... I just save from the blitz ide. I also use the chars at the top because they look pretty in the IDE... u can find these chars in charmap.

Nice for comments and stuff you know? I really, really want to use blide though. I can't find 0.7 ? (btw I am Rob on email :)

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#30]
I've sent you the beta url, check your email :D

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#31]
I've got it! now BLIde recognises the encoding of 32 bits characters in the file header (instead of using the windows default encoding)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#32]
Clever :)

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#33]
Maybe i'll megrate BLIde to .net 2.0, but this will make me change some of the controls BLIde use, and it's not an easy task, so, by now, it will run under the 1.1
This is a rediculously large task. Just did it yesterday, with a project much smaller than I suppose blide is. Took me 9 hours to finally get it running again.

I think in the case of .Net 1.1 code porting it to mono would probably be less painful.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#34]
@flameduck: BLIde is developed in 2 levels, a deep level with a core engine wich has been working in .net 2.0 (for testing only). this low level engine uses a lots of winapi, and does all the fast things (parsing, etc). the second level uses standar .net classes, so it may not be much work to migrate this secondary area. Anyway, I'll only spend my time on a migration if it becomes the only option in a future, as it's working well in .net 1.1 (like murfy sais: if something works, don't arrange it)

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#35]
if its still avaliable, I wouldn't mind testing the new version. So long as the bugs aren't horendous enough to stop me using Bmax :)

I really like BLIDE and feel a bit guilty that I didn't offer earlier :)

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#36]
I just want to say that the BLIde beta is AWSOME! cept for a few bugs here and there :).

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#37]
Hey Ziggy! Wasnt sure if you wanted Blide bugs posted in here, or should I do it on your official forums? Theres not a forum for betas. :) Anyways, works great now, except for a bug whre if the build fails sometimes, it will give the reason for the failure and then it wont let me type anymore in the code window. I can rebuild the app, and then the same thing happens, I cant get to edit the text.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#38]
@Booticus: The menus of BLIde are disabled when this happens?

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#39]
No, the menus are still active. Its just the code window itself doesn't seem to let me click anywhere within the code itself. No noises when I click, so I thought it might be a window open in the background that wasn't in focus, but no clue. I'll see if it happens again.

Vectrex(Posted 2006) [#40]
howdy, the biggest problem I have with blide at the moment is it doesn't highlight use of undefined variables at runtime. eg if you try and use a class that didn't 'new' properly. So I often have to load it up in normal maxide to get the error. Maybe it's not listening to the 'debug' option in compile options as the exe isn't _debug.exe

and second if you can implement a 'goto declaration' and 'back' shortcut then I would cry with happiness :)

ps I've sent you an email to test

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#41]
Hey Ziggy! I got the same bug again. The only thing I can think of as in similarities to the other time(s) was I have mutliple windows open. I know that's not helpful at all. Sorry!

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#42]
@Vectrex, I didn't get you email. Are you using BLIde 0.7.0b beta? this bug is detected by BlitzMax at runtime, the sception is not being thrown? due to a compatibility issue with third party DLLs that can be throwing slef-defined debug messages, such as SOW, the non specific BlitzMax Debugger messages are sent directly to the BLIde console. So in release mode (not in debug mode), you'll see the error message in the BLIde console. Make sure you have Debugging = TRUE in the compiler options of BLIde.

@Booticus, -i can't reproduce the bug, is only the code window having this problem, or even any other control on BLIde?

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#43]
Manel, how close are you at releasing this next update? I haven't had time to jump in on the beta, but the list of fixes and features looks really appealing and I am getting more time to code really soon :)

As always, keep up the great work.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#44]
@Zawran: there are still some little bugs, such as the ones mentioned by Booticus and Vectrex. Current version 0.7.0b si quite stable, but I need to fix some little issues, and add an option to let users add a NEW BLANK BMX program to a project (this option was missing!!!!)
As soon as possible, I'll release this outside beta.