Blitzmax apps slow to a crawl after long period

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blitzmax apps slow to a crawl after long period

GfK(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello.

I left my game running all night last night to see what happened.

When I went to the PC this morning, my game had slowed to a complete and utter crawl - less than 1FPS (probably about one frame every three seconds). My keyboard and mouse were locking up periodically, too and the entire system was slow. It took me ten minutes to get taskmanager open, and showed exactly the same memory allocation as it did last night, so I guess that rules out memory leaks.

Game had been running for almost nine hours but I have no idea when it decided to go on a go-slow - could have been after 2 hours; its not something I can quickly test again.

Anyone else?

[edit] Also noted that CPU usage for my app went to 99%, where it is usually only 5-8%.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
I thought this was a timer issue that was fixed by Mark in the last version (1.20)

GfK(Posted 2006) [#3]
Timer issue?

I'm not using timers.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hertz ignored after long run time

unresolved?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#5]
Dunno... I'm just using Graphics 800,600 - hz defaults to 60 anyway so I don't suppose its making any difference that I don't specify it.

Might try Eikon's code overnight and see what happens, as there's still an issue here. Its not unfeasible for someone to play a game for 5-6 hours straight so this really needs fixed.

Maybe this needs moving into Bug Reports....

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#6]
if this can be replicated on other machines it *definatly* want moving to Bug reports!!

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#7]
This is probably connected with "Timer" issues as well.

JoeRetro(Posted 2006) [#8]
I have seen this issue as well. I'm currently porting one of OpenGL screensavers (c++) to BlitzMax and have left the screensaver run over night. My computer practically comes to a halt, sometimes I have to reset it to gain control again. I have tested this on 3 pc's and seen the same results. However, one computer (pc at work) doesn't show the same behavior. I'm still investigating the issue and hope to have more data later.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#9]
I understand there is a crash issue when running for long time...