Change from fullscreen to window?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Change from fullscreen to window?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#1]
If I open a window, with or without using MaxGUI (probably with), and then I open a fullscreen display, is it possible that I can keep both of these `open` and then flip back and forth between them, ie change focus to the window so the desktop comes back, then change focus to the full-screen? Will SetGraphics() do this?

Also if I change to a different window or screen, and I have to re-create it with GLGraphics() or CreateGraphics(), do I have to re-upload all my images to the video ram or will they be kept?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#2]
I am doing just this with opengl, and here are the bugs that I have found that truely do exist in max that I sadly have no confidence will be fixed:

1) yes in opengl you can just call graphics() from your canvas (ie editor) and be in fullscreen mode. You will hit escape or whatever and SetGraphics() back to the canvas and all will work.

2) however the hz will be bugged; when swapping between these modes in opengl, the hz rate will change for the canvas. This is a Bug that I don't have any confidence in will be fixed.

3) trying this in directx will simply bomb out and crash. Shame, really. Fix it please BRL, just fix these bugs for us.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
If you do g:tgraphics=creategraphics( etc )

can you access the tgraphics type and change the hz rate back manually?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#4]
Never thought of that. But funnily enough, DX does the correct hz for fullscreen ie 75, and opengl opens fullscreen at 60.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
These bugs do sound a pain, but I wouldn't be too negative as we need BRL on our side so they feel good about fixing these bugs. Many have been fixed already and hopefully many more will be.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#6]
ON SIDE I paid good money for max it should be fit for its intended purpose! j/k

but on the whole - it is rather good you have to admit, I think whats anoying, is that the odd bug is so at odds with what max aspires to/ could be.

and some of these bugs are just not as simple as you'd think, they may only happen on 2% of machines, you dont have access to those 2% of machines and the owners dont have the skills to give detailed info that would help solve a bug that doesnt happen on your machine...

"IT DOESNT WORK" - I *love* getting email like that they make me laugh, (what?, under what circumstances?)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#7]
I support BRL and buy all their products - even if I don't really need them like the max gui. I do this because I believe in them.

I will buy their 3D module also. All I ask for in return is a strong focus on fixing bugs - no matter how small the bug. I believe now that max is opened up, with source, a lot of the bug fixing is left to the community.

This is good and bad. Bad for me because I am an artist not a programmer. I can manage max, but not the inner workings.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#8]
a lot of the bug fixing is left to the community.

I wish they'd activly show support for community fix's and mention people in the read me's even those who have only identified / proved the bug.
I too will buy the 3d module I just hope its more OO than the GUI - lol (oh that moan again!)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#9]
OEJ: Do you specify the hertz rate that you want the full screen to be open at?
Do you test for the graphics modes to see if it will tell you that the mode exists at the given hertz rate?