New Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework Demo!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework Demo!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
- Want the fun of making games without boring research, technical problems and tons of interface code?
- Want your game to run on a wide range of PCs using an ultra smooth timing routine?
- Want your game to have the same add-ons as professional commercial games?
- Want to plug your code straight into an OOP environment with tons of ready-made Types?

Then get the Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework for only $49.

Try out a mini-game demo here: www.greyaliengames.com/aotmg/aotmg038.zip (5.91Mb)

Read the FAQ here: www.greyaliengames.com/framework/faq.html

This Game Framework is fully compatible with the Swift Sprite System - it's been tested.

I thought that I'd better post in this forum as I'm not sure that everyone here visits the Showcase where this thread is running http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=59329 . Hope you don't mind :-)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
Oh my, looks almost like your other thread from a distance ;-D

Good luck.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah you're pushing it a bit imho....don't wanna end up looking like aurora :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#4]
hey... he's on fire... leave im alone :)

--Mike

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
lol thanks guys. You've all seen it as you frequent the other forums but I'm not sure everyone does. I'm trying not to spam, but I want full coverage. Fine line to trad to not be like Aurora. But hey Sswift has had a few posts too, so why not me? ;-)

popcade(Posted 2006) [#6]
Looking good..

However I'm still waiting for Max3D.... suspect it'll break some old things.... so just waiting till Mark has some action...

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#7]
but I want full coverage.

submit news....

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
submit news....
It's on my list. However this doesn't cover people who bookmark the forums instead of the front page.

Murilo(Posted 2006) [#9]
When I visit here, I only visit a select few forums. I think Grey has the "coverage" balance about right, although I'm biased as I'm watching development of this with much interest.

I can't afford/justify buying this and sswift's sprite library, and I'm trying to decide which one to plump for. Both are great from what I've seen. I simply ported my old game from Blitz+ to BliztMax, and I'd like to do my next one properly, from scratch.

Grey: How are you going to handle updates? Will they be free? Sorry if this has been covered before (it's possible I missed it).

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
Jimmy: Thanks for your interest. I send out updates by email (around 4MB at the moment) and there's already been one. Naturally they are free. There may be some future point were I add in support for some major functions (don't know what), and at that point I'll make a version 2 and charge an upgrade fee, but that's not on the cards right now. My framework has sprite support built-in, but not as advanced as sswift's, depends if you need all the extra stuff. Mine works fine (as you can see in the demo). btw, sswift's code can be integrated with mine fine. Check out the www.greyaliengames.com/framework/faq.html.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#11]
no really submit some news *now*, my hits went through the roof!

I only bookmark the front page, if people bookmark only the forums they are mad and missing out!!!

news new products flashes and random screenshots from the gallery what more could you want!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
I'll do it soon. I bookmark the front page too but most of the time just click community immediately.

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ok, i maybe have a stupid question but, is the framework designed on some genre basis like shooters. Or can it be used for rpg,rts,puzzels etc,etc............

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
Alienforce: It can be used for anything. My next commercial game will be a puzzle game. Also in my spare time (lol) I'll be making a scrolling platformer game and I might also turn this Attack of the Mutant Greys demo into a proper freeware game. The framework is a ready-made game structure that you plug your code into, so you'll still need to make the actualy game of course! Read the FAQ for more info.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
Just added a fully working options screen. You can use your own graphics (and background) of course and even change the layout and add or subtract buttons as you see fit :-)

BlackSp1der(Posted 2006) [#16]
Is the source code included?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
You bet! So you can see how I did it, and maybe learn something, and of course so you can modify it. That's why this is such a good deal. Check out the FAQ: www.greyaliengames.com/framework/faq.html However, I'll be adding more major stuff later this week (like high scores and profiles) and putting the price up a bit, so I advise that you get it whilst it's still low in price.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#18]
I'll have the budget on May 20, very interested but can't buy it right away. Hwever seems to be very useful.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#19]
ok cool. I might have put the price up by then though, hmm. Do you want to place a deposit of £5 to hold the price?

popcade(Posted 2006) [#20]
Actually my income can afford it, but my wife take control of my allowance for that coz she said we have to pay house, insurance, fundations for kids... etc.

So she take my bank account, if I spend too much, she'll blame me all the day, so I have to wait my CC refresh on that date.

The demo looks great to me, so I'm pretty interested, if you raise the price in reasonable range I can still buy it, I just want to avoid bein blamed by her anyway.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#21]
@yoxola, my wife is the same way. I always thought that was an "American" thing. I don't feel so bad now. ;c)

popcade(Posted 2006) [#22]
Yes, however that did saved good amount of money by sacrifising some extra cost, and raise a kid may cost big money in the future, such situation can be very common thing in Asia families.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#23]
Raising kids costs lots of money simply because one of you can't work full-time until the kid is at school full-time (and that's not all day anyway) unless you employ childminders and they cost money. I'm in charge of the finances in my house and have to constantly reign in Helen to stop her spending, what I deem as unecessary money, in Ikea, garden centres, and home improvement places (like paint etc). I'd rather we had enough money so that I didn't have to be so tight, but when things are tight, you have to watch the ladies, as they DO like to spend money ... imho

btw, I just mailed all my customers with a Getting Started Guide which is to compliment the General and Technical FAQs and the heavily commented code.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#24]
V0.98 released today! Updates include:

- Fully working options page.
- Highscore saving, loading, entering.
- Sprites can now scale, rotate and brighten.
- Enhanced gameplay to show off some new features.
- Improvements and Fixes

popcade(Posted 2006) [#25]
Sounds nice.

Waht module should I tweak to enable VTearing fix?
The help tell me to read FAQ but I can't find it tho.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#26]
here is the FAQ:
www.greyaliengames.com/framework/faq.html

Remember it's just to enable the VTearing Fix in windowed-mode as it's fine in full-screen mode when VSync is on.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#27]
uh.... I can't find where exactly to tweak..

Would you please tell me where to modify and I can recompile the module, thanks~

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#28]
ooops, sorry Yoxola. it's in the technical FAQ here:

http://www.greyaliengames.com/framework/technical.html#tweaks

popcade(Posted 2006) [#29]
Thanks ;)

Well I'm a bit blind - -b

The framework is excllent!
Taught me many things I never thought, great thanks.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#30]
Glad you found it and glad you learnt some new stuff - well done.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#31]
By popular demand, I've reduced the price of the framework for a while to $49.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#32]
The Game Framework can now be purchased via Share-it!:

https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/checkout.html?PRODUCT[300072102]=1

Although the preffered method is still via the Paypal donate button here: http://www.greyaliengames.com/contact.php

I'm planning on releasing another update later this week, so keep an eye out for that one. It's will have some neat improvements in it such as level complete and game finished screens, a select level map screen, full user profiles, and OpenGL/DirectX toggle on the options screen, some alternative timing possibilities, and a few minor fixes/improvements. Plus I've added some stuff to the getting started guide.