Max3D Module Tech question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Max3D Module Tech question

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#1]
*** This is not a WHEN question, please do not ask for timelines, dates, etc ***

Will the Max3d module be a Scene Graph ?

(I have been experimenting with Panda3D and I very much like the OOP and simplicity of this approach)

OGRE also comes to mind as a model.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#2]
Um, either you are misunderstanding what a scene graph is, or I am misunderstanding it, because I thought Blitz3D used a scene graph. In fact, I cannot think of a single 3D game engine I've ever used that did not have a scene graph.

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#3]
"The scene-graph is an object-oriented structure that arranges the logical and often (but not necessarily) spatial representation of a graphical scene. The definition of a scene-graph is fuzzy, due to the fact that programmers who implement scene-graphs in applications and in particular the games industry take the basic principles and adapt these to suit a particular application. This means there is no hard and fast rule what a scene-graph should be or shouldn't be."

I meant an Object Oriented Scene Graph where we could access obect in OOPY ways (ala OGRE) sorry for any confusionthere my friend

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
A scene graph is not an object oriented stucture. It just shares the word hierarchy.

Its simply a data structure. It has more in common with a LOD lanscape than oop.

And more importanly in an object based Language, your not supposed to care how the object works, so wheather the Max3d Mod is scene graph based or not, wont make a differance, cos you will just be using its Methods, not messing with its data structure