Accessing class methods from a .DLL

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Accessing class methods from a .DLL

ahobbit(Posted 2006) [#1]
How can BlitzMax access the methods of classes and the class hierarchy that are part of an API in a .DLL file?

For example, suppose a DLL contains numerous classes that each have their own 'Create()' method. How can BlitzMax call the Create() method for a particular class in that DLL?

I know that through the win32 module found in the win32.mod folder, we have access to the LoadLibraryA routine to load a DLL library and receive a reference to it, and then can use GetProcAddress to set up a function pointer to the routine we want to call in the DLL:

Import pub.win32

Global libptr=LoadLibraryA( "DLL_Library_Name" )

Global Function_Name(parameter:Type)=GetProcAddress(libptr,"DLL_Function_Name")

' now can use the function in BMax
Function_Name(some_parameter)

But how do we access a specific function (method) of a class that is in a DLL file?

I see the pub folder has entries for the following WinAPI functions:

RegisterClassA

RegisterClassW

GetModuleHandleA

GetModuleHandleW

Where "A" stands for ANSI characters, "W" for Unicode characters.

Has anybody successfully used these functions (or perhaps other ones) to call various methods of classes buried inside a DLL?

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#2]
to be honest I just wrap each method in a function call and pass a pointer to the class instance to the function

If you are straight including c++ code theres a method for methods(!) in the help docs

Global _fastforwardParticle(ps:Byte Ptr,secs:Float,interval:Float)=getprocaddress(sow,"sow_fastforwardParticle")

c++
void sow_fastforwardParticle(Ogre::ParticleSystem *ps,float time,float interval){
	ps->fastForward(time,interval);
}

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#3]
If you want to use class functions, you need to extern the whole class and the functions must be declared as virtual within the C++ source.
See advanced topics in help.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#4]
thats not going to help you if the class is in a dll is it?

ahobbit(Posted 2006) [#5]
The idea is not to have to extern anything, just access the class using the WinAPI from BMax.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#6]
well do let us know if you manage a better solution than the one I currently use for dll's, I'd love to know it!