Popcap in blitzmax!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Popcap in blitzmax!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://developer.popcap.com/

Who's got the guts to get popcaps world-renowned engine working in Blitzmax?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#2]
I wouldn't mind taking a look at it, but I won't make any promises because I'm horribly busy.

You've actually used this a bit, haven't you? I've not actually looked at it yet, but I recall reading about it a little. Do you use it by directly acccessing the classes or do you need to be able to inherit the classes? If you need to be able to inherit the classes, that could be a big problem with making it work in BlitzMax.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yep :)

I liked popcap but the framework looks really tricky like you say... I've dug up the old sdl thread and it works fine.

I don't know how setgfxdriver() works otherwise I would wrap it and present it as a gfxdriver mod for people.

There's a couple of issues with SDL and these are:

- can't blit negative coords?

- the rotation and zoom thing with alpha needs to be added to current wrapper

- animimages are supported but not wrapped

So I am trying to help out by getting these in. I will post if I can manage it. Finding out sw rendering is pretty much still in demand after speaking to a couple of major portals (ya and ra).

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#4]
I had a quick look when it was first released with it's new license. Unfortunately it is designed in a very c++ manner and a max2D interface would be a big job.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yeah, I'm looking at it now, and I agree with Skidracer, this seems like it would be an awful lot of work.

SDL sounds like a good idea, especially it it could be integrated as a standard driver, as you suggest.

I'll have a look over there and see if there's anything I can do to help with that.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#6]
I have been working on this all night and it seems a very good match for Blitzmax actually, with most commands supported in some form or other.

Rotation and scaling is with the addon:

http://www.ferzkopp.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=40

So far I have sdl.Graphics(), cls, drawimage, loadimage... but not as a max driver.

Noel Cower is trying to make a more direct interface as we speak, we'll see if it manages that.