Which IDE?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Which IDE?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello.

Which IDE do you all use for Blitzmax, then? I used to use Protean for Blitz3D so I'm finding the standard Blitzmax IDE very basic-feeling.

Given that support for third-party IDEs seems to just cease at the drop of a hat (as it did with both VisualBlitz and more recently Protean), I don't particularly want to part with any more cash for a new/better IDE as I'm tired of supporting products that simply get ditched anyway.

There are screenshots on the Protean website pertaining to Blitzmax but I'm certain the IDE itself does not actually have Blitzmax support. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

popcade(Posted 2006) [#2]
I use Blide, it works well(you might have probably know it) www.blide.org

The BMax IDE... uh... somehow primitive, in comparsion to PureBasic's IDE(improved a lot in recent versions)

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#3]
IndieED is by far the best IDE for BMax. Very stable.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=88

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#4]
For quick things I use just the default IDE, for more elaborate projects nothing beats Blide

N(Posted 2006) [#5]
I use ConTEXT. I found the others to be useless.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#6]
I use Ultra Edit, nothing beats it, imho

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#7]
Tried, the default IDE, The community IDE, BLide and for me IndieED is the best for me... (so far)

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#8]
BLIde mostly here.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#9]
default ide here.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#10]
Blide Rocks! Also some Default IDE usage, but only for smaller projects :)

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#11]
Blide here, would like to try IndeEd

Mystik(Posted 2006) [#12]
Unless we can bribe Ed to make Visual Blitz work with Blitzmax, guess I'll stick with the default IDE. All the rest seem a little OTT.

The default bmax one is quite good though.

Steve.

MikeHart(Posted 2006) [#13]
Guess there are more IndeED BMuser than I thought. I should work harder on it again.

Thanks for the comments
Michael

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2006) [#14]
I really like the simplicity of the default IDE. Blide is
good, but I can't stand a workspace cluttered with windows
I don't use.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#15]
Some improvements to the default IDE would suit me like fold-away side panels as in visual studio.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#16]
@drew: You can close them! :D

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#17]
default IDE ... naw.
BM Community version of the IDE :-)

and blide for large projects.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#18]
Yes you can, Drew ;)

Blide is great but it doesn't handle crashes cleanly, When developing a DLL, The app would get thrown to the background when it hadn't ended. Not sure of the cause.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#19]
Well I tried Blide for a while and it was mostly good, a little bloated, but with some irritating bugs such as the one where you type a new function name and it fails to appear in the function list. Also you don't seem to be able to turn off line numbering - this really bugged me for some reason!

So I gave up on that and tried IndeEd. That seemed to lack even the most basic features (i.e. the Build GUI App option is missing and defaults to off, so I get a console window on every build - which I don't want).

Think I'll have to stick with the default IDE for now.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#20]
What Bugged me about Blide, Is that I cannot declare a capitol X (or is it Y), cos somewhere in the modules it has been declared as lowercase

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#21]
I've been reading all the comments in this thread, and this has helped me a lot adding some changes to the next BLIde version (wich will be released in a few days). thanks a lot.

-I've done line numbering customizable (by default line numbers are not shown).

-The Local shortcuts (the pannel with all functions and types) is automaticaly updated, so any new function or type or whatever is automaticaly added

-You can disable case correction

-re-organization of pannels to make it look more clean and organized.

thanks for helping me improving BLIde.

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#22]
Looking forward to see the new version. I have been trying out the various versions until now, and it keeps getting better and better. Keep up the great work Manel.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#23]
Ziggy I like Case correction, I just get annoyed that It case corrects x to lower case

altitudems(Posted 2006) [#24]
That is my only problem when using BLIde, darn sloppy modules.

BLIde is great though, feature rich, but can also be customized to be very minimalistic. Thanks Ziggy

Although my favorite is Brucey's Eclipse Plugin

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#25]
Tried the default IDE and community IDE, both are good for small projects. Also tried BLIde, but it's too slow to be practically useful on the TabletPC (and it's not too good as an integration tool, since it's Windows only).

Occasionally I will fire up Eclipse and dream good dreams.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#26]
I use Blitmax V1.10 IDE (exactly this build) as it's the one that has the least annoying problems in it. Tis the best for me.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#27]
So, when's this new version of BLIde available? Be happy to give it another look as it was certainly the most promising of the two.

kenshin(Posted 2006) [#28]
BLIde for my main project. Community IDE for everything else.

@Gfk: There was a beta version of Protean for BMax but you only had access to it when you bought Protean. I was using it till it stopped being developed. Still a bit sore about that.

Main things I miss from Protean:
- Being able to compile the exe to a different directory than the source file.
- Being able to double-click a source code tab to close it.
- Minimize to the system tray.

Pathetic, I know, but I was so used to using these features that it's still a habit.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#29]
@Gfk: There was a beta version of Protean for BMax but you only had access to it when you bought Protean. I was using it till it stopped being developed. Still a bit sore about that.
I bought Protean too, and yeah it does sting* a bit when you dole out cash for something, then the author gets fed up, ceases development and gives it all away for free.

* = 'sting' doesn't even come close. I'd probably get banned if I said what I really think about what the Protean guy did.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#30]
Blide, for me, is currently the best Max IDE available. I haven't tried IndeED and from the sounds of it it really isn't better than BLide.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#31]
BLIde for my main project. Community IDE for everything else.

I'd be interested to know why - what feature(s) in particular make you use BLIde ove the CE CE version? Although I've not used BLIde, I'm guessing it'll be down to better project management...

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#32]
I'd be interested to know why - what feature(s) in particular make you use BLIde ove the CE CE version? Although I've not used BLIde, I'm guessing it'll be down to better project management...

So would I.. I use BLIde for middle sized projects - smiply becuase you cant have loads of 'projects' open in one BLIde instance. If you could (and mabey you can, and mabey the fact I didnt no you could means he should develop this side of it) then I wouldnt use anything else.

At the moment I have BLIde to code a module(HighGUI 3) with because it is much nicer to navigate about code realy fast. And i'm using cide to code teh test stuff. Idelly I'd like to be able to have two projects open in blide - one for the code module and others for examples of how to use it, etc.

EDITZ: I can say this tho, CODE FOLDING IS AWASOME

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#33]
i've always used the default IDE's

kenshin(Posted 2006) [#34]

My main project has a fair number of includes and numerous other ancillary data files so project management and folding is a must. The directory structure is reasonably complex and organising all this without BLIde would be a nightmare. Community IDE is for code testing prior to implementation into the main project or code tests for the people who request in this forum. I think I could get away with using Community IDE for the main project if it had folding. Don't have any other projects going on at the moment.

@Gfk: I just had the same thing recently. I bought Aurora when it was first released and then a few days later the price drops 50%. Can't win...

NoBoDo(Posted 2006) [#35]
@Gfk: I bought Protean also, and yes it was pretty irritating when support slowly dwindled away to nothing and then the announcement was made that development was stopped and the product would be given away free. It seemed to coincide with keeping up with code changes to make a version of Protean that would work with Blitzmax; before Bmax came into the Protean picture the updates were coming fast and furious.

BLide - I've been using this for bmax and like it a lot. I've used the CE and frankly don't see what is better about it than the one that comes with Bmax.
There are a few irritating things about BLide - the one that irritates me the most is after doing a test compile/run of an app and then closing it, the Console window pops up and will not go away even though the auto-hide is enabled (you actually have to click the auto-hide button twice on the Console window every time you run an app).
But, bugs aside, BLide still is my preference.