odd framerate findings

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/odd framerate findings

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

Just upgraded from x800XT to X1900XT... some weird findings:

Max2D DX BUFFERED driver speed is now half the speed it was on the x800XT

OpenGL is the same cracking speed it's always been...

The standard Max2D DX driver speed is the SAME! isn't this a little odd considering the card I have now is at least 3 times faster?

I cut out logic from my game loop and it's the same speed! so logic isn't the limiting factor here... there must some really odd thing somewhere deep in Max2D that limits the framerate weirdly.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
What specifically is your graphics card 3 times fast AT? Texturing? Drawing texels? Moving memory around? etc?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#3]
Everything?

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#4]
I would try other D3D 7 based games and see how they do?

D3D 7 which BMax uses is old and dead. D3D was completely redone for DX8+. Just because DX itself is still backwards compatible, does not mean graphics cards and their drivers are. Most graphics cards today are tailored for DX9 performance or DX8 for older cards you may still find.

OpenGL hasn't changed as much as DX and it is reasonable to expect it to perform the same on new cards as it did on old cards.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#5]
Nope a X1900XT is not 3 times faster in pure texture and vertex pushing like done in Max2D.
Its power lays in stuff BM does not use at all.

Buffered: That can happen. Buffered is only good for slow cards, faster cards suffer of the buffering.

DX7: Sounds strange that removing logic does not change anything unless you have VSync activated (ati driver default to VSync always on on DX, no mather what you do in BM)

For better settings tweaking, I recommend ATI Tray Tools. It could even show you what is causing the same speed. (like a fixed flip queue size *although I would really recommend that you set it to a size of 2 in maximum*)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks.

The problem isn't what I can do about it, but I am just very curious about this as a similar phenomenon occured with Blitz3D - that is, there was a strange FPS limit encountered by many people with different specifications. Again, with flip false.

I am encouraging discussion of this issue, thats all - I'm not particularly looking for help on increasing my speed.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#7]
Like I posted on my modules forum... Buffering everything becomes counter productive. You should select what is buffered and what is not to maintain optimal speeds.

BRL should release a couple of simple functions to make VBO available in a simple form and cross-platform (yeah OGL calls it Vertex arrays or something).

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
EOJ: as mentioned, flip false is of no use if you did not set the drivers own VSync setting to app default or always off, because on always on it will VSync, no mather what you set in BM.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#9]
Well given that the "limit" is around 300fps its safe to assume it's off.