pinball physics - how?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/pinball physics - how?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#1]
just curious, fancied a little play with this, any idea how to make a pinball game in blitzmax? basically the ball would need to understand the concept of over and under also.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
I don't want to over simplify things but I would assume the physics simulation would take place in a 3D world and the GFX would be presented as 2d, with some Z positioning of the sprite to ensure it did actually go under stuff.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#3]
That was my impression of it too. Now where's that much needed cross platform physics module...?

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#4]
remember the old amiga pinball games? they used to be pretty cool im not sure you would even need much of an advanced phys system for such a thing (2d anyhow)

pinball dreams etc (thou maybe my memory is clouded with only good memorys of such amiga stuff)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#5]
I have one already :) But I did not write it although I think I'm the only one with the source.

Anyone got Cyanides email addy?

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#6]
thats me ^ im part way to finishing a new faster uberer one actually, i will see if i can get that up in the next day or so.

general @ deviousbytes.com or co.uk

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#7]
I dont see why you need to dip into 3d, you only need to test a circle against varied surroundings.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#8]
for a really primitive flat pinball, yes.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#9]
ode is *real* good for stuff with spheres, and other geometric shapes, tri-mesh can be problematic, but is do-able, best of all it will handle surface friction, gravity and mass...

AlexO(Posted 2006) [#10]
If I understand correctly the only wrapper widely available for ODE in Bmax is JV-ODE? Which, unfortunately, is windows only :<.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#11]
There is the official blitzmax module made by mark sibly, which is at 1.0, however I haven't a clue how to use it.

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#12]
A good link from the GameDev : General collision detection for games using ellipsoids
Just don't Make It Ellipsoidal.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#13]
@ alex o theres some free ode stuff on my site, also theres a free ogre wrapper floating round that uses ode...