3rd Party Modules Forum

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/3rd Party Modules Forum

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#1]
Several JV-ODE BlitzMax users have asked about a dedicated BMax thread rather than using the Blitz3D Userlibs thread.

I emailed James (BlitzSupport) several weeks ago about creating a new JV-ODE thread for BlitzMax users as I wasn't sure where best to put it, or even whether it would be considered as spamming the forum. I never heard back from him about it but I don't think he was around at the time.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to create a separate forum area for 3rd party modules anyway? Similar to how we have a Blitz3D Userlibs forum for Blitz3D.

An official response would be great, but if anyone else has any pearls of wisdom, feel free to chip in.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
I've taken mine off-site, at least that way I get an automatic notification when someone posts something.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think it's a good idea. Would be nice to have a place I could spam Aurora updates etc without being off-topic.

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#4]
Brilliant idea!!!

CodeGit(Posted 2006) [#5]
All in one place. I think it would be a good idea.

N(Posted 2006) [#6]
I'd offer to host one, but the biggest problem I can see is that hardly anyone would actually go to it, meaning it would end up being wasted space and bandwidth.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#7]
I'm normally willing to mirror any interesting module as well.
If there is any interest, I would create a little module listing with short description of the modules, so it could be used as a start for a module repostry or the like.

(offering mirror / hosting download is my only way to support them at the moment, financial support ie donations are out of reach)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#8]
I think Vip3r just wants me to stop filling his email box up! :P

Seriously though, this one's needed!

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#9]
One unified place for modules sounds like a great idea!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#10]
i would second this as well but state that it would be much better hosted here instead of being off-site.

there is a degree of trust from the brl site that you dont get from an unknown mirror.

CodeGit(Posted 2006) [#11]
I agree, It should be hosted by BRL. Makes sense.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#12]
Would BRL implement email notification of posts relevant to your modules? I for one am not happy that support requests may go unanswered for days upon end. And no, don't expect me to proactively check the forum as I've enough to do already.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#13]
I agree with Indie on this one. Off site seems better. BRL already has their hands full.

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#14]
I personally agree that an official module forum hosted here would be better.

The way I see it, hosting a module forum here would be a great marketing tool for BRL. If a potential BlitzMax customer were to browse over here and see a forum full of all kinds of interesting and useful BlitzMax modules, it might make a tremendous difference in their purchasing decision. Would they be so easily persuaded by a Programming forum cluttered with sporadic module posts all over the place? I doubt it. Even worse if they were hosted off site and the place was like a module ghost town. How would that make BlitzMax look from the outside then?

Tim, I understand your POV but honestly if your customers need an urgent response they should email you directly. You can't expect an immediate response on a forum like this.

The argument that BRL has there hands full is true, but it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference to them if one more forum section were added. The Blitz3D Userlibs forum is hardly a moderators nightmare.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting BRL should host the actual modules, just add another forum to help remove the clutter from the other Max forum areas and also give their potential customers a nice showcase for how expandable BlitzMax truly is. Not to mention an easy place for existing users to find any 3rd party BlitzMax modules that are currently available.

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#15]
Bump

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#16]
Or just make it possible for people post support questions in the Toolbox section.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#17]
Another non-response from the team at BRL...

Come on guys!

CodeGit(Posted 2006) [#18]
Surprise(not)....No official reply from BRL. :(

Yan(Posted 2006) [#19]
But it'll just get abused by people using it as a free support forum for commercial modules with BRL footing the bandwidth bill.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#20]
3rd Party closedsource modules were a core idea behind BM. Thats a reason why we payed 80$ although most already own BB+ and B3D.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#21]
speak for yourself *open* source modules was why I got max...

and I *really* think there should be an extra forum for 3rd party modules

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#22]

But it'll just get abused by people using it as a free support forum for commercial modules with BRL footing the bandwidth bill.

Absolute nonsense, the BlitzMax forums are already filling up with 3rd party module threads regardless (both commercial and otherwise). So it won't make any difference to their bandwidth.

At least with a separate forum area they would be gathered up into one place.