.dll .a .h and .Bmx

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/.dll .a .h and .Bmx

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi.
I found source of libs. I compile the with Dev-C++ and I get the .dll , .a and .def files. So to link them with BMax I have to copy the .a file in the lib directory , import the lib , extern all the functions of the .h files in the BMX?

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#2]
gizza clue...

is the .a a wrapper for calling the dll, or does it have all the routines that the dll has

which lib is it?

generally you can just put a .a in the same directory as the .bmx and import it

you just need to extern the functions you'll be using

theres a short intro to using just a dll on my site if that helps

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#3]
I have seen this method that you are explaining in you tutorial. It's a good one.
I don't really know about the .a. I thing it's calling the dll.
I am creating it with Dev-c++. And I set the parameters to Win32 DLL.
I am trying to build and Include the Anti-Grain Geometry
The strange think is that I am compiling with now errors but I don't get the dll. But if I put the parameters of the project to Win32 Static Lib I get a big .a.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#4]
personally I'd just use the .a and directly import it
others would prefer to go the dll route

looks interesting, let me know how you get on, feel free to email me directly if you get stuck....

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#5]
oh forget to mention you should really use the msys command line tool instead of dev c++ to exsure you compile with the same version of gcc....

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#6]
No proble with that gcc I seted dev-c++ to build with the vertion of mingw that BMax uses.
To tell you the truth I was going for Cairo as there is allready Working Port for BlitzMax but I cannot find anywhere compiled dll of Libsvg-cairo.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#7]
you might want to check out somthing called max2d supposed to be designed to work with max :o)

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yes Max2D it's great. I just stuck this week with vector graphics.