Is Max Gui the best?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Is Max Gui the best?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]
Or is there a 3rd party lib thats better?

ozak(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think it's the best. The crossplatformness requires some tweaking (such as larger buttons on OS X and other issues), but it's very easy to use and understand IMHO.

N(Posted 2006) [#3]
It's the best for BlitzMax. Honestly, if you want a good GUI library, I'd go with wxWindows. Why BRL didn't just use that is beyond me.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
Perhaps because of the license which is LGPL for derived work in non-binary form? And MaxGUI was planned to be a commercial add on not a free one ...

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#5]
heh, I heard there was problems with MaxGUI in windowed mode? is that true?.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#6]
Haven't seen any ...
The only real problems I know of is DX + multiple canvases ... But perhaps I missed them? (my editors haven't had any)

N(Posted 2006) [#7]
Dreamora: Read the license carefully. It's a modified LGPL, not the LGPL in its original form.

A general summary:
wxWidgets is currently licensed under the "wxWindows Licence" pending approval of the "wxWidgets Licence" which will be identical apart from the name.

The wxWindows Licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may be distributed on the user's own terms. This is a solution that satisfies those who wish to produce GPL'ed software using wxWidgets, and also those producing proprietary software.

The exception:
2. The exception is that you may use, copy, link, modify and distribute
under your own terms, binary object code versions of works based
on the Library.

I have to ask, Dreamora, why is it that the vast majority of your posts are wrong?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
The exception clearly states binary object code.
BM modules from BRL are opensource to module owners and thus NO binary object (.o as in the .bmx folder) but sources you can recompile yourself, extend and whatever you like to do.

Thats clearly against the exception.
Or did I miss something on that?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#9]
Honestly, if you want a good GUI library, I'd go with wxWindows.
I'd go with QT.

N(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thats clearly against the exception.
Or did I miss something on that?

If it's a wrapper for wxWindows then they need only provide a link to the wxWindows site if the user wishes to download the source code. Why you would need to modify the original source code and potentially introduce problems with the wrapper is beyond me though.

All BRL has to do is compile libraries for wxWindows and release it with MaxGUI. If the wrapper used wx-c then you could, quite simply, just write the GUI code in BMax and never have to touch the C++ code.

I'd go with QT.

You would, but I'm not masochistic. (Some people may not understand, so for the record: this is a joke)

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#11]
The number one reason against is wxWidgets would easily double the size of the BlitzMax installation file and from memory triple the time to rebuild all modules. The FLTK library is not pretty but it is beautifully small.

From what I've seen on Linux I'd vote Mono as the best target in regards to the next MaxGUI driver.

In regards to the original post, it depends on what type of application you are building. If it is an audio app with lots of sexy knobs or something that could benefit from lots of transparancy then you could consider one of the third party GUIs built with Max2D or raw OpenGL.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#12]
I've found MaxGui superb for quick, simple Windows GUI apps. Don't think I'd ever use it in a game (which I don't think it was built for) but I have IGlass for that.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#13]
If you want apps, MaxGui is great and better than B+'s GUI. If you want something "in game" use IGlass.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#14]
Third party GUIs should be event-based I think, I doubt I'd ever want a polling-based GUI. So just 'another GUI' won't always cut it..

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#15]
hey noel

I have to ask, Dreamora, why is it that the vast majority of your posts are wrong?

LOL its taken you how long to realise? ;p

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#16]
So is iGlass fast enough to be used in games? Also wil it be fast enough to use with the 3d module when it arrives? I don't wanna cough up for 2 GUIs

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#17]
Its hard to say what it will be when Max3D arrives ;-)
Especially as no one even knows, if Max2D can be used simultaniously with Max3D or if Max3D has its own 2D abstraction layer integrated.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#18]
What Dreamora said! :)