Design me a sig contest

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Design me a sig contest

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is probably not going to end well but here goes nothing,

The person who designs me the nicest sig(Including text links to my products) wins a free copy of Aurora3D worth 75 Bucks.

One look at the mess that is my sig should provide the answer to the why of this contest.

Kanati(Posted 2006) [#2]
What's the name of your company? Antony's Semi-Finished Products, Inc? What do we call you? Aurora, Ant, Halo2-The Revenge?

Need a bit of info there to do this. (If indeed I find the time to do so).

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#3]
So many thinly vieled insults in a single reply! :) nah, anything you see fit basically, just make me look cool. (I know that's going to be hard, nay impossible, but do your best ;))

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#4]
When is the deadline?

What size image are you looking for?

Do you have preferable Text? Imagery? Colors?

I can have a go over the next few days

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#5]
No deadline really, but let's just say, a month from this day to give people with jobs time.

Any size image, although prefably something that wont' get me banned for being too big.

No preference on text/color, whatever looks cool.

DampeS8N(Posted 2006) [#6]
I don't know what the codes for creating links are on this forum... I tested html to see, and as expected it doesn't work.

however.... should that be made known to me each [] will be a link which will include the []s all the links are in the same order as your current sig.

Aurora 3D Game Engine! [On sale now] [Forums] [Video]
[BlitzNet Optica V1.2] Networking solution for max!
MaxAVI V1.1 [On sale now]
Blitz2DIsh! [Coming soon]

I doubt I'd ever get to use the engine tho, I don't have blitzmax and don't plan to get it soon... haha. So maybe you can save the effort and I'll go prizeless.

haha as if you'd pick this as your sig... it is smaller though.

puki(Posted 2006) [#7]
Well, you can licence my sig if you want. It will certainly increase your coolness.

I'll let you have the first 3 months free - then we negotiate after that. I can't say fairer than that.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#8]
I fancy poking fun here, But if i was to post my design, I'd get banned :P

N(Posted 2006) [#9]
Something like this work?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#10]
Not bad Noel, although I'd prefer something a bit more informative. My first impression when seeing that would be 'Ok looks nice, but what are they?'

Good start though.

N(Posted 2006) [#11]
Any advice on how you'd like to make them look more informative?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#12]
just put a little subtitle that explains them all : for instance,

blitzmax modules for sale

at the top or bottom or something. I think your icon design more than explains it.

googlemesilly(Posted 2006) [#13]
BUY NOW !!! :))))

Qube(Posted 2006) [#14]
Noels idea with a subtitle as OEJ suggests would work just fine :)

It's a 1000 times better than having 10 lines of text in your signature, which looks kinda messy :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
I agree.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#16]
I think noels (E) is the best idea.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
but the font is a bit rubbish imho.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#18]
The font is a little unclear, I agree.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#19]
it looks great on this end, maye get a new monitor?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#20]
Its blurry on the tzN of BlitzNet, but anyway, what I mean about the font is that it's like the first font that appears in corel draw or something, it's not groovy.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#21]
oh lol

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#22]
Any advice on how you'd like to make them look more informative?

Anyway to do them in a table of sorts? With three links for each, one =shop link, another = website link(Not up yet but still) and the third = the online docs link.
with a bit of text so it's clear which each link is to.
Or better yet a <a href=blah blah> text link.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#23]
Anyway to do them in a table of sorts? With three links for each, one =shop link, another = website link(Not up yet but still) and the third = the online docs link.

How about something like this:

N(Posted 2006) [#24]

No, unfortunately. I wish there was a way to do that, then I could organize my posts and the like a lot better.

Does this one look any better?

John J.(Posted 2006) [#25]
Noel: I like that one much better - very nice looking.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#26]
John J's are nice and Noel's new ones are nice

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#27]
It's a bit of toss-up. I like the look/design of Noel's better but John's is better structured as it has the relevant links.

So to stay in the face, John, needs a more sleek design, Noel needs image links like J's.

May the best man win. :)

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#28]
Ant, if you are wanting to use them as a sig image, John J's won't work with the forums as you would have to use an image map to translate the links or something. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#29]
ok muine is better than everyone elses..

look:

lol sorry i couldnt resist

N(Posted 2006) [#30]
Yeah, JohnJ's is kind-of up there in the 'impossible to do' area. Plus they're gigantic. Seriously, John, smaller is better. The only way you'll get both links in the same image is if BRL adds tables and image maps to their forum, which I wouldn't count as likely to happen.

So have fun filling in the correct URLs. And, of course, changing the <>'s to []'s.

(In a codebox to prevent the forum from doing stupid things to it)

Signature images here since I'm not hosting them for you.

My advice? Make a website for each module. Linking directly to the purchase page won't look that good.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#31]
Lol @ Matt's one

E: yeah JohnJ's can't be done (looks nice though) or I'd have done it a while ago to mine :-)

E: the new one is better but I don't like the inconsistency in the fonts of the products. Better if all the same font size. Thing is, these products maybe each need their own look and logo anyway, and then each one could have a link in the sig, like mine.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#32]
How about something more like this:

Seriously, John, smaller is better.

That's true, just as long as you don't go too far to the point of near unreadibility.

JohnJ's is kind-of up there in the 'impossible to do' area.

Seriously, Noel, sometimes you've just got to use your imagination (try clicking on the "?" and "$" icons in the image above). Sure, it's kindof crude, but it works, doesn't it? :)

N(Posted 2006) [#33]
Works if you don't want anything below it. The text below it shouldn't be clickable. Plus you've kindof got the whole 'programmer art' thing going on now with that.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#34]
Plus you've kindof got the whole 'programmer art' thing going on now with that.

What do you mean?

N(Posted 2006) [#35]
Well it looks like programmer art.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#36]
Hmm.. the definition of "programmer art" turns out to be:
Extremely poor quality meshes, textures, or other resources used in video games, which are created by programmers instead of real artists.

So, in other words, you're saying that it is of "extremely poor quality"?

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#37]
Where on earth is that definition coming from?! Doesn't sound like a dictionary...

Nah, programmers art is more just the type of artwork that some programmers tend to come up with. Antony tends to do it for a lot of his stuff.

Not necessarily of poor quality, but more for operation than looks :)
In the case of your little example there, it's seems to be a demonstration as opposed to final artwork. (Since we have clearly seen very nice looking stuff above).

In other words, Programmer Art acts as placeholders for other things to come.

Anyway, unfortunately that example there draws improperly in Firefox...

N(Posted 2006) [#38]
Yeah, basically. I wouldn't say extremely poor quality, but it's definitely not something I'd use or condone the use of.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#39]
Mr. Picklesworth: I got the definition from here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=programmer+art

N(Posted 2006) [#40]
You should know better than to use Urban Dictionary. Their definition is a bit extreme, as I said. Programmer art is generally just not good.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#41]
Here's another one:

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#42]
I like Noel's there.

N(Posted 2006) [#43]
John: Much better now.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#44]
Heh, Want me to get my Progress Bar code back out again?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#45]
I don't know which one I like better. I still like noels for the design yet like John's for the buy/info links.

I knew this competition was a bad idea. *Goes away to think it over before annoucing a winner*

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#46]
Screw it, i'm a sucker for snazzy pixels. Noel's the winner. Check your inbox for Aurora. And thanks for the sig.
As a consolation price John I'm sending you a free copy of BlitzNet Optica. Which is basically a 15 pound discount for Aurora.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#47]
I know you've chosen but Autually John J's last effort is good plus it could actually have have separately clickable info and buy bits now that it's structured horizontally!

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#48]
honestly, I think noel's is too small. The buttons should be a little bit bigger. Just my opinion, but there's lots of people that don't have perfect vision and aint wearin glasses, they dont like reading tiny text. They can zoom in text which is a good thing, but noels buttons they can't read. Just my opinion. Honestly.. I can barely read his.. and I have 20/20 - Its just too blurry and too small.. Seriously.. white on light green? Personally I dont agree with it.

The aurora was easy for me to pick out, but the 3d engine tiny text wasnt, and autota also doesnt look easy to read at first, gotta kinda focus on it.

Mine is best!! (jk LOL)
I like Johns way better.

This one is the one you should have picked.. just my humble opinion for what its worth... :-S

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#49]
gotta agree a little bit. I was even worried the text on my sig images was not clear enough.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#50]
Too bad the contest ended so soon - I had no chance to submit my final entry :( (I was under the impression that it would last at least a week).

In case you're still interested, here's the one I was working on:

Anyway, thank you very much for the copy of BlitzNet Optica, Antony, that's very generous of you :)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#51]
Aurora 3D Max The Premire 3D engine for BlitzMax - Dx9/OGL

Spellcheck time...

"Premire" should be "premiere". There are also a number of typos on your homepages.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#52]
Rob, I am surprised you didn't have a go at the sig image design, you have done some killer looking logos in the past.

N(Posted 2006) [#53]
Still ain't in my inbox, so maybe Ant is having second thoughts ;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#54]
Spellcheck time...

"Premire" should be "premiere". There are also a number of typos on your homepages.

Int.Blitz Forums.Night.

*clap*

wait a beat

*clap*

wait a beat

*clap*

FADE TO BLACK
--------------------------

E, your e-mail server rejected the e-mail. Give me a proper e-mail address to send to, not that wimpy one you're using now :)

N(Posted 2006) [#55]
Ant: Could try ncower@...

Why it would reject the e-mail is beyond me, since it works for everything else.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#56]
Gmail rejects rars. I'll put it up on my ftp for you and e-mail you a link. In the morning, too tired and busy right now.

*walks back to setting up Aurora C#*

N(Posted 2006) [#57]
Bummer.

N(Posted 2006) [#58]
Just don't forget, Ant.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#59]
Gmail rejects rars.
If you are sending files via email, you should always rename them to a PDF, that works fine for GMail

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#60]
zip'z work just great with gmail...

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#61]
zip'z work just great with gmail...
Not if an EXE is in the ZIP. Gmail will often reject those ;c)

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#62]

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#63]
The contest is over?

What happened to:

"No deadline really, but let's just say, a month from this day to give people with jobs time."

Qube(Posted 2006) [#64]

The contest is over?

What happened to:

"No deadline really, but let's just say, a month from this day to give people with jobs time."

A month, four days, who's counting :)