IDEs/Editors for Linux

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/IDEs/Editors for Linux

N(Posted 2006) [#1]
Right, going to list off the common options that I know of as options for IDEs under Linux:

MaxIDE (Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, so scratch that)
jEdit
gedit
kwrite
emacs or vim (Wouldn't touch either unless I was forced to work in a terminal -- I'm not one of the hacker types who gets a hard-on whenever he uses archaic old tools)
Eclipse if the plugin had been finished -- as-is I think it's unusable for this without the source to make it work with current versions of BlitzMax. (Hint hint, Brucey)

Anyone know of any others? Currently I'm using gedit and, to be honest, it really bites for a large project.

Linux is starting to look like a very unfriendly development environment what with the lack of any useful tools for BlitzMax at the moment. Heck, even the Mac already has a usable alternative.

Anyhow, back to work.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#2]
good gref, you can walk for tripping over text editors in Linux and most of them will let you run custom commands on the file you are editing

Can you not find a better reason for not liking Linux? >;p

AlexO(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yea, the IDE options in Linux seem rather limited :/. I've been trying to develop in Linux for over a month now and recently I just boot up to windows just so I can get a decent IDE. I did for a while use VMWare with a windows XP VM, which allowed one of my desktop workspaces to have windows running so I could use the windows maxIDE (community edition). This is still annoying because VMWare doesn't fully support directX or OpenGL iirc. So I'd have to write, switch to another workspace using the default linux IDE, compile, switch back if there were major errors, etc.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well excluding Eclipse, It'd be a toss-up between Ted and Kate I guess.

(Hint hint, Brucey)
I'd like to second that motion.

N(Posted 2006) [#5]
Got tired of trying to find existing solutions, so I wrote a highlighter for KATE.

You put this in ~/.kde/share/apps/katepart/syntax/blitzmax.xml

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#6]
Grrr, KDE.
Nice work, though.

Is anyone else hiding a syntax highlighter for a Linux text editor (such as Scribes, perhaps - which I believe would really be a highlighter for GTKSourceView)?

N(Posted 2007) [#7]
Year old thread. No, the situation has not improved.

Roger(Posted 2007) [#8]
MaxIDE with Brucey's GTK framework and associated HTMLView framework does improve the situation somewhat (asthetics, and HTML help works properly)

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#9]
Year old thread
I'm recycling! You should thank me; it's good for the Internets.

Yep, I have been using MaxIDE with GTK to this point but the compiled version is a tad glitchy right now.

Noel's highlighter has a very similar format to gtksourceview's highlighters, so I am moving it over with what mostly boils down to a few find & replace operations. Unfortunately, I seem to have followed documentation for the (much better documented - which isn't saying much) 2.0 highlighters. These don't seem to actually be readable by the gtksourceview I have installed :(

hec(Posted 2007) [#10]
I don't like linux that much but nevertheless: KDE is a cool window manager and KATE is quite flexible. I can see some linux users might find that file useful.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#11]
In the mean time X-Develop is an excellent Linux (and Mac and Windows) IDE - and while it does allow you to create language plug-ins, these are unfortunately limited to languages that use the Java/.Net/Mono compilers (ie. no support for BlitzMAX).

Unfortunately it seems like development has come to a grinding halt, which is somewhat sad - also it's fairly expensive.